Talk

Advanced search

Dribbling and spitting making baby wet through

(14 Posts)
Turno1 Tue 22-Aug-17 14:08:00

On moving to bottle my lo who is 5 weeks took fine. These last two weeks he has started dribbling and spitting during a feed making himself wet through. So far I have -
- spent a fortune on various different teats and bottles to try. None are any different. He will happily take but just spits and dribbles during feed.
- got plastic back and dribble bibs, used both at same time. They end up sodden and have to use clean every feed. Plus, still manages to get through to his collard on his clothes.
- tried different feeding positions and it still happens.
- putting my little finger to corner of his mouth but it just comes out other side.
- feeding him in just his nappy, but this is not always practical.
I am worried his neck will become sore from wet or damp rubbing his young skin.

I really don't know anymore if this is normal, if he has become a lazy eater, if he has tongue tie (even though doc says not - but they can miss it), If he has problem with his mouth/throat, he's struggling to get a seal, he will grow out of it.

He is eating and taking feed, but I don't how much he is losing / is coming out during feed.

The only thing which has not done this is the aptamil on the go bottles. I have searched for teats like these but there is nothing and I can't keep feeding him these as he will go through 2 boxes a day And they are £10 a box!!!!

I don't understand how for first week he was fine and didn't do this.

Starting to get frustrated that there is so much support and groups for breast feeding out there but nothing formula/bottle feeding.

pastabest Tue 22-Aug-17 14:25:03

The aptimil teats you mean are a bit like these NUK ones aren't they?

www.amazon.co.uk/NUK-First-Choice-Bottle-0-6mths/dp/B0065F4WEY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503408164&sr=8-1&keywords=minbie+teats&tag=mumsnetforum-21

In the meantime you could wash and sterilise the aptimil bottles and teats and reuse them? Does sound like there might be some latch issues that possibly need checking though.

Turno1 Tue 22-Aug-17 14:39:46

I'm going to pop to mothercare and have a look at these nuk ones, they look similar.

AnaKristina Tue 22-Aug-17 14:51:35

teat.shop/teat-latex-small.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwrO_MBRBxEiwAYJnDLDUt8G-HFzsx5ugWZpa8lnAhdaSpT2eaLJscRmiUQtyuGL0ce6jNHBoC4HsQAvD_BwE

They sell NUK hospital teats and also small bottles you can fill with the formula of choice. Nuk first choice are faster even the smallest hole in my experience. My baby also collapses them and doesn't feed. We have the same dribbling issue. Dribbling can be caused by posterior tong tie, reflux, cow milk allergy. I have posted similar tread in infant feeding section. Someone replied with a helpful information. Good luck

AnaKristina Tue 22-Aug-17 14:54:59

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding/3012473-Milk-dribbling

My question in the forum and a reply. People also speak about palate issues. All in all can also be just a messy water and no underlying issues but does make you concerned.

WorkingBling Tue 22-Aug-17 14:57:22

How long has this been going on? A good way to see if he is in fact getting enough is to check that he's gaining weight at the appropriate speed? Have you had him weighed recently? Is he settled/ unsettled and always seeming hungry?

It might be that he needs a teat with a very small single hole. Perhaps keep searching for those? or as someone suggests, reuse some of the ready-made ones?

Do be careful about cleaning up his neck and behind his ears after. DD was a bit of a dribbler, and at some point she must have got milk caught in her hair behind her ear which then got all crusty (clearly her bath at that time wasn't good enough!) smile

thatorchidmoment Tue 22-Aug-17 15:02:42

I'm afraid I didn't bottle feed so don't have practical advice re: teats, but when my babies went through pukey/super dribbly stages, I would tie a muslin round them to catch the worst of it. I could go through loads of them with my second, as he was very pukey, but muslins wash and dry so quickly it wasn't a huge issue. Saved having to change clothing so much!
Hope you manage to find teats that help, but catching the sogginess might be the way to go while you are searching!

newmumwithquestions Tue 22-Aug-17 15:03:47

DD was a bit of a dribbler, and at some point she must have got milk caught in her hair behind her ear which then got all crusty (clearly her bath at that time wasn't good enough!)
DD had reflux and when she was newborn I was WAY too tentative cleaning her. What we found behind her ears was hideous. Also those newborn neck folds... yuck! I had to nappy cream them otherwise her skin was raw.

Ahem sorry OP I have no useful advice!

Turno1 Tue 22-Aug-17 16:41:10

I contacted my health visitor who asked me to contact gp and I got apt straight away. No tongue tie, pallet issues etc. No underlying causes they could see and they are not worried as putting on weight and doing plenty of nappies. Just going through extremely messy stage and should grow out of it. (Hope its sooner than later) Told me not to bother spending anymore on bottles and teats and just get him used to / familiar with the one type and stick with it, so will stick with the dr browns as are much easier and nicer to hold.

FartnissEverbeans Tue 22-Aug-17 19:07:48

I agree with the previous poster about muslins. I had tons of them and just used one for each feed, tucked close under the chin.

Of course DS ended up developing reflux so every feed required about three muslins and a change of clothes for both of us grin so I do sympathise with your soggy situation OP!

AnaKristina Tue 22-Aug-17 21:33:30

My boy was dribbling so much milk with timer tipee and today tried MAM. Much better. I heard MAM teats work with Dr Brown's bottles whose teats I find very long. Yes it makes Denver to try and persist with one brand but in my case after accepting Lansinoh for weeks he suddenly started to refuse them. I had no choice but to look for alternatives.

Turno1 Fri 25-Aug-17 18:19:58

I tried the mam medium flow test and result is the dribbling is not happening, well a tiny bit, but nothing like it was. Yeay😀😀😀😀.
I have to pace feed as the flow is a little fast (the slow / number 1 he struggled as had to work too hard), but it seems to work. I amusing the man teats with the dr brown bottles. Thanks for all the advice.

AnaKristina Fri 25-Aug-17 18:37:04

Again so happy for you! I wish bottle feeding had the same cover as the breastfeeding. We also struggle. Don't get discouraged if he has ocasional dribble. Babies are fussy after all. Have a look at kellymum and fussy behaviour.

VinIsGroot Fri 25-Aug-17 19:21:23

Nuk teats and tommee tippee bibs with a big cuff around the neck.
My boy has a genetic condition and refluxed for 2 years!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now