Talk

Advanced search

Can't get baby's wind up at night

(5 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Fri 04-Aug-17 03:42:04

DD2 is 7 weeks old and up 2-3 times a night for a feed. She always falls asleep on the breast during the night and I find it impossible to wind her! I try different positions and keep her upright for a while afterwards but nothing, then she'll wake every couple hours or so after that (has a 5hr stretch at beginning of nigh) with wind but the only thing that settles her is another feed which leads to more wind!

I use infacol which helps during the day but not at night.

I've just completely woken her up whilst trying to wind her and have ended up feeding her again to get her back to sleep but I can tell she's got wind as she's unsettled, bringing her knees up towards her chest and screwing up her face occasionally.

Any suggestions??

OP’s posts: |
INeedNewShoes Fri 04-Aug-17 03:50:01

Are you sure it's wind? At 7 weeks it's possible she needs feeding every two hours.

My baby is 13 weeks and I still can't always tell the difference between hunger, wind etc. but I'm now sure that there have been times she was hungry and I had thought she was suffering with wind.

If she's settled and you can't get any burps immediately after a feed it may be that it's fine for her to go straight to bed without being winded. I do this with mine as lying flat after a feed seems to avoid as much build up of wind in the first place.

Sorry, I know I haven't answered your question. Hopefully someone with more practical suggestions will be along soon.

SleepForTheWeek Fri 04-Aug-17 06:38:39

Yes it's definitely wind, she's sometimes nit even interested in the feed and will come off and start crying etc.

When she starts thrashing around in her crib she'll sometime pass wind after a bit of a struggle then settle again.

Her latch isn't great and I often hear her gulping air - we are working on that but her latch is even lazier st night

OP’s posts: |
silkpyjamasallday Fri 04-Aug-17 09:14:10

DD was like this at your DCs age, she never burped no matter how I tried to wind her and so any air ended up coming out as a fart at some point which would wake her up. She had grown out of it by about 12 weeks. It's normal that your little one would want to feed several times in the night at that age, but if it definitely is the wind waking her then try bicycling her legs and rubbing her belly gently in a clockwise motion or lie her on her tummy on top of you, the pressure from that always used to relieve our dd of any wind.

arbrighton Fri 04-Aug-17 10:19:41

No answers but a lot of sympathy as I could have written same post about ds, 6w except adding in an hour of writhing, crying and grabbing my hair at 2am as he worked up to a dirty nappy

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in