Talk

Advanced search

Enforcement on one side

(7 Posts)
LillyBugg Sun 16-Jul-17 03:42:27

DS2 is 7 weeks old. I've woken in the night for his usual every two hourly feed and I seem to be quite engorged on one side. My breast feels quite solid and a bit lumpy. I'm sure I have been swapping sides with every feed as I normally would. Why would this happen? I'm consciously trying to feed off that side now to drain it and hopefully clear any blockages (although it doesn't feel sore at all so I assume no block ducts?). Is this the right thing to do? I don't want to make it worse by feeding off that side more but I kind of feel I have to to try and drain it!

LillyBugg Sun 16-Jul-17 03:43:57

Oh no...engorgement clearly!! Not enforcement. I'm tired...

LillyBugg Sun 16-Jul-17 08:42:28

Bump

gumphlumph Sun 16-Jul-17 10:11:38

It's a few years since I breastfed but I'm sure I remember the advice being to keep feeding from the engorged side to alleviate the discomfort. It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Have you got a hot patch anywhere on the engorged breast?

gumphlumph Sun 16-Jul-17 10:12:50

Also, weird as it sounds if it was mastitis I found the old wives tale of a cabbage leaf down the bra extremely helpful and soothing.

LillyBugg Sun 16-Jul-17 10:19:01

I don't think it is mastitis as seems to have cleared now. Just really unexpected as it's not like it had been ages since he fed. But my boob was so hard and uncomfortable! I guess I'm just curious about the reason to try and avoid it in future. And also I wanted to be sure that feeding off the engorged side wasn't going to make it worse by increasing supply!

Dragonfree Mon 17-Jul-17 15:24:34

I sometimes find my ducts block for no apparent reason 🙄

Extremely annoying and uncomfortable. It takes a few days to sort out, but has never had a noticeable effect on supply. I had similar worries, but once the blockage clears it seems to be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now