Talk

Advanced search

Can you buy dairy free formulas over the counter without prescription?

(5 Posts)
Lucinda15 Mon 10-Jul-17 13:57:33

DS (5yo) has CMPA and egg allergy. He was breastfed and we never needed the dairy free formulas.

DD (5 weeks old) is showing signs of CMPA. Unfortunately I have been unable to breastfeed (cracked nipple/thrush/mastitis/?tongue tie - tried everything and exhausted support from avenues). So DD is on formula (aptamil comfort) but has blood in stools and skin rash. Much less in way of symptoms than DS but I am obviously expecting CMPA. Doc has taken stool sample to check for infection and waiting on results. I go to review with doc on Wednesday and am hoping we will be allowed a prescription for dairy formula without the need for a lengthy referral to a consultant. But, if that's the case, does anyone know if I can buy the dairy free formulas over the counter anywhere? Or do I need a prescription? I would really like to give them a go to see if it helps DD, can't bear feeding her this milk if it's making her ill.

Tia x

Lucinda15 Mon 10-Jul-17 13:58:12

.... I just thought, will post this also on the allergy boards. Thanks.

chipscheeseandgravy Mon 10-Jul-17 14:34:02

I think you can buy them but dependent upon type it's about £30 per tub. Your dr should prescribe if they suspect an allergy and then try to move child onto regular formula slowly. If they react to that you will get an appointment with a dietician/consultant at the local hospital.

sniffysnifferson Tue 11-Jul-17 07:28:53

There is sma mysoy which is dairy free and is sold in my local asda. It's about £14 a tub.

DoctorDonnaNoble Tue 11-Jul-17 07:35:08

We used the sma soya milk. Won't be suitable for all as some babies also fail to tolerate soya but was a lot less disgusting to smell than the prescription stuff we were given.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: