Talk

Advanced search

Aptamil comfort or pepti 1

(5 Posts)
LikebeinginMI5 Mon 03-Jul-17 22:19:51

Looking at formulas as planning to combination feed
Both the above state 'hydrolysed' butbare they hydrolysed to the same level or is one potentially more allergenic than the other ?
Feeling a bit confused
Thanks !

CherriesInTheSnow Mon 03-Jul-17 22:28:08

I believe the pepti formula has more hydrolysed protein - they tend to do one formula per special requirement. So the Pepti formula has lots of hydrolysed protein, and the comfort Formula is not necessarily hydrolised (but going from memory here) but has thickeners which help prevent or soothe symptoms of reflux.

That aside, is there a reason you feel the need to use a speciality formula? Hydrolysed protein formulas are typically less palatable to babies so they may not like the formula at all, particularly if they are combination fed. And formulas with starch tend to have a different composition which sacrifices some of the traditional formula ingredients which are chosen in standard formula to try and reflect the properties of breast milk. Has your LO been diagnosed with or recommended a special formula by a HV or GP? I know the marketing sounds lovely and reassuring but for a healthy newborn with no digestive issues standard infant formula suitable from birth is the best option smile

LikebeinginMI5 Mon 03-Jul-17 22:45:41

We have had 3 dc with a milk allergy previously so keen to use a special formula from the outset just in case. The others all had neocate though and that was prescribed but to buy would be too expensive hence looking at aptamil instead as we would be assuming an allergy so couldn't get it prescribed
It'd only be for 1-2 feeds a day probably evening and I'd breastfeed the rest of the time (I always cut out dairy and egg from my own diet when bf as this caused issues with 2 of the dc who had most severe allergies)

We want to combination feed as I know I'll need that time in the evenings to read to other dc put them to bed etc and also as one dc has quite severe health issues I need the baby to be able to take a bottle in case I have to rush off at any point

What age is best to try and introduce a bottle ? Is it after 4 weeks ? I have no idea as my others were bf and only starters the neocate as too ups around 5-6 months

CherriesInTheSnow Tue 04-Jul-17 13:27:29

Ahhh okay smile if allergy is a problem you will definitely want the Pepti which is extensively hydrolised. You can always ring them too or email them - I emailed them about something and they got back to me really quickly smile

LikebeinginMI5 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:29:38

Well I don't know for certain yet but onve baby is here I'm assuming there's a high probability he/she could have cmpa so I need to be prepared.
I think nearer the time I'll get some aptamil pepti in and use that
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now