Talk

Advanced search

Just switched to formula. 3 week old baby really hungry. Bottle every 2 hours. Is this normal?

(7 Posts)
Lucinda15 Sat 01-Jul-17 14:47:37

I've just switched to formula and trying to get my head round it all. I'm a bit concerned my baby is super hungry and seems to want a bottle every 2-3 hours. She has more bottles than the guidelines on back of powder tub advise. Averaging about 8 bottles a day. Is this ok?? Or am I overfeeding?

KarmaNoMore Sat 01-Jul-17 14:50:21

Third week growth spurt? She will get back to normal very soon.

You can't overfeed a baby, they turn their head sideways when they have enough (and vomit the extra back to you if you insist)wink

TheSleeperandTheSpindle Sat 01-Jul-17 14:52:31

Completely normal! All babies are different and, I mean this in the kindest way possible, they cannot read the guidelines on the tub.

Trust your instincts and feed when you think baby is hungry. I formula fed and I treated it in similar way to BF, I fed on demand.

Sometimes my DS would only go 1-1.5hours between bottles when he was going through a growth spurt smile Babies tummies are tiny so they tend to have a little and often approach to feeding.

Lucinda15 Sat 01-Jul-17 15:11:06

Thank you both! It's all so new to me this! X

TheSleeperandTheSpindle Sat 01-Jul-17 15:22:25

I can only reply calmly and with a wise head nod because my DS is now 8 months and appears to have survived having me as a mother. When he was 3 weeks I was exactly the same, I even kept an app with all his feeds, naps and nappy changes I may still log his feeds and naps blush

A lot of it is winging it grin

Lucinda15 Sat 01-Jul-17 19:42:51

Lol!! sleeper I don't have an app but I do have a more retro method, just jotting feeds and nappy changes in an A5 note book that goes with me everywhere 😂 I still have DC1's from 5 years ago!!

Lucinda15 Sat 01-Jul-17 19:43:40

(I breastfed DC1, so the formula feeding is a whole new ball game!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now