Talk

Advanced search

Milk is in on day 3 and boobs are sooo uncomfortable

(15 Posts)
CaptainWarbeck Wed 28-Jun-17 09:41:18

As title says, is there anything to help? DDs latch isn't great and has resulted in a graze on one side so I'm resting that today and just hand expressing from it while I feed DD from the other side.

My boobs feel like warm uncomfortable massive melons on my chest and knock against my arms they're so bloody enormous at the moment. How long does this engorgement last?? Will they then adjust to how much milk she takes? And any tips on getting a graze to heal quickly? 😬

GreenGoblin0 Wed 28-Jun-17 10:03:09

my engorgement lasted 4-5 days. they were better after each feed but would soon harden up again. it's horrible but it really doesn't last long. just feed feed feed.

to help with discomfort try hot flannel compress and savoy cabbage leaves in your bra.

for the graze try putting some breastmilk on it and giving it some air. don't forget lansinoh before each feed

GreenGoblin0 Wed 28-Jun-17 10:05:11

yes they will adjust to how much milk she takes.

SwedishToast Wed 28-Jun-17 10:05:20

They do adjust eventually! You do look a bit like Dolly Parton for a while but comedy boobs are the only thing that kept me going grin

They're definitely just warm not hot right?

CaptainWarbeck Wed 28-Jun-17 10:21:26

Yeah they're warm not hot and I've been massaging down any lumps that pop up in the one I'm expressing from.

They're just generally sore at rest though, is that normal? Like achy and uncomfortable?

And 4-5 days yes? Is it worse at the start and slowly gets better over time or will they suddenly go down after 5 days of this?

Thanks all so far!!

Funnyonion17 Wed 28-Jun-17 10:29:26

Warm flannels in the bath, or wet some breast pads and put in the freezer. Those frozen round ice packs for head bumps etc are great too. Mine only lasted two days but it was horrific, I went from an E cup to a H. It soon passes flowers

CaptainWarbeck Wed 28-Jun-17 10:30:14

I feel like Pamela Anderson!!

Frozen breast pads sounds good.

Funnyonion17 Wed 28-Jun-17 10:32:17

Yea I did too, I felt paranoid aswell as no bra fit so I had to venture out to Asda for a cheapo just for the few days they were engorged. It looked like I had two footballs under my top.

SwedishToast Wed 28-Jun-17 10:34:36

It isn't normal to be a bit uncomfortable unfortunately. Do you have a local breastfeeding team to speak with?

GreenGoblin0 Wed 28-Jun-17 10:34:41

Hi OP - mine got worse and then gradually got better. They can get worse between of baby goes longer without feeding. feed as much as you can even if baby is not demanding a feed see if she will feed if you are uncomfortable.

if you can do try to feed from the grazed boob

SwedishToast Wed 28-Jun-17 10:34:55

It is normal!

2Warriorsandawish Wed 28-Jun-17 10:43:33

You could also try feeding baby from grazed side but in a different position so that grazed part is not being irritated as much, try rugby ball hold.

CaptainWarbeck Wed 28-Jun-17 11:49:07

Oh good swedish I got worried reading your first post!

Okay I'll keep trying to feed her as much as possible.

I have a breastfeeding counsellor in contact by phone and text who is great. She's recommended letting DD do the newborn climb up my chest to latch, which she does and latches well herself doing that. I've tried the rugby hold and it's better than cradle but still leaves my good nipple sore.

I'll try the climb up on the grazed nipple tomorrow once it's had a bit longer to heal.

Yogagirl123 Wed 28-Jun-17 12:01:20

At the risk of sounding really crazy here, someone suggested to me to put raw Savoy cabbage leaves in my bra, I tried it and it did help. I know it sounds abit mad!

Bluefrog26 Wed 28-Jun-17 12:49:46

I found that different positions each feed reduced the initial sting (stopped my nipple falling off) But as advised above plenty of lansinoh before and after but also know that the soreness could last for 4-6 weeks. Try to stick with it though because after that the ease of taking baby anywhere without having to make up bottles and take steriliser make up for it (I am so lazyblush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now