Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cocaine use whilst breastfeeding

(173 Posts)
twistypie Sun 25-Jun-17 11:35:19

I'm in a major panic. My son (22 months) has been exclusively breastfed from birth, and then from 6 months obviously solid food as well. I love our feeding relationship, even though I am still up several times every single night with him because he loves the boob.
He's never been an easy boy, and last night was my first ever night out since he was born - he stayed with Nanny and Grandad.
I went a bit crazy at all the freedom and ended up having a few lines of coke. The boy is due home in an hour and now I'm panicking. The first thing he'll want is boob but I can't give it to him as I know it's unsafe. I'll have to pump and dump for a while I guess, but the question is, how long for?
I feel like the worst mum ever, as I'll have to deny him the thing that gives him most comfort. Can't believe I was so stupid and selfish.

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 25-Jun-17 11:40:37

You know you have done wrong. Definitely pump and dump. Get proper medical advice as to how long you need to do this. Please.

Ummmmgogo Sun 25-Jun-17 11:43:15

it will probably be fine the coke has just made you a bit paranoid. ask the breastfeeding network, to be on the safe side. they should know xx

ElspethFlashman Sun 25-Jun-17 11:45:05

He's almost 2, I'm sure he'll survive. You talk about him like he's a newborn.

Itstoohottoday Sun 25-Jun-17 11:46:40

He'll survive without boob for a few days.

MrsD79 Sun 25-Jun-17 11:48:31

Are you serious??? U get a night off and you want to bump a few lines up ur snout?? Anyways whatever floats your boat. You need to start thinking about weaning him off bf. More solid food and he wont be hungry. Seperate bedroom. A cup of milk instead. Break the routine and stick to it.

sunnywithadashofgin Sun 25-Jun-17 11:50:03

Drugs.com has good research on there and suggested 24 hour abstinence. I would seek medical advice because you could seriously harm your baby if this is passed onto them. It can also affect your supply. I am all for going out and letting your hair down, but quit the class A's now you have a son to worry about. Just imagine if anything had of happened to you. I have experience of a friend doing it and what can happen to a person if it is a bad batch etc. It isn't worth it.

wtffgs Sun 25-Jun-17 11:50:23

'Pump and dump' is a myth. I have no idea about cocaine and bf. I agree the Breastfeeding Network are great. I've always found them very knowledgeable and not judgemental at all.

CherieBabySpliffUp Sun 25-Jun-17 11:51:43

biscuit

PenguinsAreAce Sun 25-Jun-17 11:52:51

You need medical advice.

Internet sources suggest this is a real problem with breastfeeding, e.g.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26310088

books.google.co.uk/books?id=PCKHWMUT-Q0C&pg=PA213&lpg=PA213&dq=wendy+jones+breastfeeding+cocaine&source=bl&ots=4BtnnChEkK&sig=1AlIet9St6BkUmJ3DnScamEnWlM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX09qx6djUAhUkAcAKHR41CGwQ6AEIJTAD#v=onepage&q=wendy%20jones%20breastfeeding%20cocaine&f=false

PenguinsAreAce Sun 25-Jun-17 11:57:40

wtffgs pump and dump is not a myth. It is not necessary to pump and dump in some situations where certain chemicals pass in and out of milk freely as they break down (e.g. Alcohol), and in those cases avoiding feeding for a certain length of time can be enough. This does NOT apply to all drugs. Cocaine is NOT the same as alcohol.

twistypie Sun 25-Jun-17 12:04:21

Thank you all so much - I have been on the breastfeeding network website as you advised, and am now waiting to speak on the phone to one of their people.
I am so so cross with myself

twistypie Sun 25-Jun-17 12:04:31

Thank you all so much - I have been on the breastfeeding network website as you advised, and am now waiting to speak on the phone to one of their people.
I am so so cross with myself

Oly5 Sun 25-Jun-17 12:07:33

Look, you've had some fun and now you're getting the right advice. Your son is 22 months old. He doesn't need your breast milk. Just get your partner to distract him til tomorrow or the day after! Coke doesn't stay in your system that long

SleepFreeZone Sun 25-Jun-17 12:09:47

God 😲

ElspethFlashman Sun 25-Jun-17 12:09:58

Regardless of what they say, I wouldn't BF for 36/48 hours. It seems just one study says 24 hrs minimum and most agree on longer to be safe.

Joffmognum Sun 25-Jun-17 12:12:08

MrsD79 what's with the late breastfeeding judgement? 2 is a perfectly acceptable age to still be breastfeeding at. The WHO suggests 2 at a minimum and the global average is 4.

Besides, drinking cow milk is bad for the environment and animal welfare.

Other than cocaine (silly), OP can do whatever she wants with her child.

twistypie Sun 25-Jun-17 12:16:11

Thank you

TisGlorious Sun 25-Jun-17 12:21:44

You are 'cross' with yourself? hmm

EachandEveryone Sun 25-Jun-17 12:21:53

Was coke a regular thing before you got pregnant? Are you going to be back on it is it like smoking once youve had one thats it?

Get your dp to play with him. You might have broken the bf cycle though but you probably knew that could happen and you have done so well with it.

Pollyanna9 Sun 25-Jun-17 12:22:04

Christ, all these people saying he should be off the breast by now - SHAME ON THE LOT OF YOU!

It's up to the woman to decide when she wants to stop, when she thinks it's right for her and her child - no one else. Pathetic, not woman supportive comments.

Myself, I'd definitely up for night feeds but that's me, if OP is willing to do it and wants to do it that's up to her entirely.

The coke though, Jesus OP, seriously. Please share what advice you get - it will be interesting to see how this should be dealt with.

sixandoot Sun 25-Jun-17 12:22:17

Info here www.infantrisk.com/forum/forum/medications-and-breastfeeding-mothers/cns-stimulants/1521-cocaine and here www.infantrisk.com/forum/forum/medications-and-breastfeeding-mothers/new-data-of-interest/1369-cocaine.

SerfTerf Sun 25-Jun-17 12:29:37

Good luck OP. No helpful experience to add myself but I'm sure you won't be the first or last and someone down the line will google and find this thread useful. None of us are perfect. Try to stop panicking flowers

(Not sure what value the biscuit and "god" merchants are hoping to add.)

SerfTerf Sun 25-Jun-17 12:31:24

(Don't let this prematurely end BFing if you're not ready though. Definitely not smile)

NerrSnerr Sun 25-Jun-17 12:32:22

Hope he doesn't get too upset. I weaned my daughter off the breast at 24 months and she was upset at first but did understand when we told her it was all gone. Would he understand if you told him that you're poorly or something?

I agree with others, go on the cautious side of timings, coke is a fucker for your mental health so I wouldn't take any risks. It's hard for most of us to understand how a night out would escalate to casually doing some class As but I guess it's who you mix with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now