Talk

Advanced search

Omega 3 for newborns

(3 Posts)
CherriesInTheSnow Thu 08-Jun-17 21:18:05

Hi all smile

I am just going through my feeding options/backups and am looking into fatty acid supplements for formula fed babies.

I've come across a fee supplements suitable from birth (5lbs and over) and have checked the dosage etc.

My question is, does anyone give these supplements to their babies? And, is their any reason it has to be infant specific fish oil (I know not to use high vitamin A cod liver oil) if the dosage and purity are the same, or is it just marketing?

The reason I'm asking is because the baby specific brands are veeeeeery expensive and I am 99.9% sure it's just because there are not many products of this type mat keyed toward babies. And of course fatty acids are important and relatively safe, I. e won't cause toxicity even in high levels.

Whaddya think? smile

OP’s posts: |
arbrighton Fri 09-Jun-17 08:42:15

From scientific studies, it's not been shown to make any significant difference, don't bother............

CherriesInTheSnow Sat 10-Jun-17 09:09:36

I will be using and taking them myself for breast milk; have managed to find a good quality affordable one in Holland and Barrett smile

It's interesting you say that, I think there has not been enough research into it. Have seen a couple of studies suggesting it has benefits, and have also read a study suggesting that western breast milk is often deficient in DHA and that mothers in othe culures have higher fatty acids. We do also know unequivocally that DHA is essential to fetal brain and eye development and that there are more EFA's in breast milk than in formula (which is already based on breast milk compositions that could be deficient in certain thing's anyway). This was an american study but looks like LCP levels in formula there and in the UK are similar.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in