Talk

Advanced search

Really want to stop breastfeeding, but how?

(5 Posts)
Drmum123 Fri 02-Jun-17 09:23:31

Hey my 4th baby is 6 months old. I breast fed all of my babies for varying amount of time:
DS1-6 weeks, then he was diagnosed with a heart problem and had to have an operation. His weight had dropped from 98th to 2nd centile, and despite pumping all I could and fortifying he was still losing weight, so had to move on to fortified formula.
DD1:ebf for four months with no problems. Then she got very unsettled in the evenings introduced a bottle in the evenings. Then slowly moved to ff, so was fully ff by 6 months. Was going back to work for long busy shifts so this felt like the right choice.
DS2. I was determined to feed him "properly". I tried so hard. But he had terrible reflux and vomited everything I gave him. My supply is always a bit touch and go and where he was vomiting and then wanting more which I didn't have, he started losing loads of weight and by three months I very reluctantly moved over to the bottle.

All three of aforementioned children began sleeping through the night within a week of introducing formula. They also just became much more settled babies.

So I've always beaten myself up a bit about not really feeding any of them "properly". So when ds4 came along I was determined to do it this time.

Did all the cluster feeding (lasted three-fourths months), co-slept and fed multiple times at night etc, refused to give a bottle and got to six months.

However I now have the feeling I have made a rod for my own back! (daft expression I know). Baby refuses point blank to take a bottle. Tried different teats, different points of the day, different people etc. I still have to co sleep because he wants milk at least 4-5 times in a night. I am not sleeping well and am waking up stiff and sore. During the day I simply cannot put him down. If I get him to sleep and put him down he wakes within twenty mins, he will sleep a bit longer on me or if we are out. He hates the sling and back arches and screams. He still feeds at least twelve times a day. If I want to get anything done I put him down and do it in ten minute blasts with him crying in the background. Wanted to do blw, but so bloody tired of feeding, am spooning in veg puree three times a day, in the hope I will get a bit of a break.

What makes it worse, is whenever we are out with family and friends he is wonderful. He is being held, so he smiles and coos and kicks and everyone says what an easy baby I have and aren't I lucky.

I am at the end of my tether, I am so tired. It is really hard to do stuff with my other three. I go back to work in two months, not sure how that's going to work, because if I do a night shift I'll be away from him for 24hours. I feel massively unreasonable because I worked so hard to bf and wanted it so bad and now I really really don't want it. At all. And also feeling bad because I keep saying I, I, I and it should be about him.

Anyhow this is a bit of a rant, sorry. But anyone got any tips on how to stop? Or should I just suck it up and carry on?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 04-Jun-17 09:23:29

Haven't got much advice sorry. One thing you could do if you are in the UK is to give one of the Bfing Helplines a call. Have you got the phone numbers?

Ratbagratty Sun 04-Jun-17 09:33:05

I second the helpline, also as could try introducing a cup instead of a bottle? Mine was a bottle refuserbut took to the 360 cups

shalalala Sun 04-Jun-17 09:38:11

I was in the same situation. Eventually we cracked it with a nuk bottle with latex teat

Drmum123 Sun 04-Jun-17 10:12:45

Hey tried a nuk bottle with a latex teat. He will have it in his mouth... But won't suck it. Tried about four or five different sippy cup type things, it either spills down his front or he throws it onto the floor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now