Talk

Advanced search

Aptamil Comfort and Dr Brown bottles?

(4 Posts)
KittyB52 Wed 31-May-17 13:54:55

We started using Dr Brown bottles with DD when she was a few weeks old as she was guzzling and suffering with wind. I mentioned to the HV that I suspected she might have silent reflux and was advised to switch to Comfort formula, together with the next size up teat, which we did a few weeks ago. I have noticed that the teats get blocked a lot, and DD seems to be getting windier (teats are sometimes squashed up because she's been sucking so hard! shock). Size 3 teats don't work for her as the flow is too fast.

Are the Dr Brown bottles incompatible with thicker Comfort formula? Also, roughly when should we see an improvement in DD after switching formula?

FartnissEverbeans Fri 02-Jun-17 17:45:41

We use Tommee Tippee bottles rather than Dr Brown ones but have had no issues using comfort milk, even with the smaller teat sizes. A couple of things that might be helpful (you may know/do all this already):

1. I find that the teat often collapses when we move up a size until the baby gets used to it - I think they're used to sucking harder in a smaller teat and have to adjust.

2. Silicone tears are prone to closing up. To avoid this, when washing them I always push water through the teat really forcefully several times.

3. Watch carefully to see if the baby is swallowing when feeding. If they're just sucking that means there's a blockage which needs to be squeezed out.

4. Really, really shake the bottle. I use a perfect prep machine but I do the same when making up the bottle on my own - add a small amount of hot water to the bottle, then powder as usual, but shake it for a good minute. Tommee Tippee make flat lids that come with the perfect prep for this purpose as it's often when shaking that it gets blocked - I don't know if Dr Brown do the same?

KittyB52 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:11:42

We've only noticed a collapsed teat once or twice, and one of those was in the last week. I have tried pushing water through the tests (it's strangely satisfying grin).

It could be that I am not shaking it enough - will look for a flat lid to see if that helps. Or I might try the Tommee Tippee bottles again to see if that helps.

Thanks.

FartnissEverbeans Sat 03-Jun-17 14:22:53

It is satisfying isn't it?! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now