Talk

Advanced search

Do I really need to feed my baby organic food?

(12 Posts)
Expectantdan Wed 31-May-17 11:17:42

I'm expecting a baby in the coming months - and perhaps I'm thinking a little too far in the future, but I'm confused about this organic baby food thing..

My friends feed their little ones sachets of 'veggie risotto' and 'mild chilli con carne' - it seems utterly ridiculous to me.

Sure I've read about the health benefits, but I've also read a lot of skepticism about just how 'natural' or 'organic' something is.. not sure really what to trust.

All in all, I'm not sure about organic but I'm willing to be swayed!

Anditstartsagain Wed 31-May-17 11:19:38

I feed mine a mix of pouches usually ellas kitchen and what we eat. I don't really worry to much about organic or whatever just try to stick to a healthy diet.

tissuesosoft Wed 31-May-17 11:20:57

I don't feed DD organic veg and fruit- only if it's on offer cheaper than the non organic version. In my opinion, it's more important to watch salt content of the satchets.

HerRoyalFattyness Wed 31-May-17 11:21:11

Mine just got whatever we were eating. I found it so much easier grin
Others prefer to give pouches.
Whatever works for you when the time comes.

MrsHathaway Wed 31-May-17 11:22:42

Organic is largely bollocks. There are issues around over-chemicalised farming methods, but fully organic isn't the best solution to that problem.

What's most important is to get your baby used to a varied diet. If you are breastfeeding you can get a head start by eating a varied diet yourself (flavour of milk slightly changes); any parents can model a nutritious and varied diet to make it completely normal in the child's eyes.

ineedwine99 Wed 31-May-17 11:23:21

We get a mix of the Ella pouches/Hipp/Heinz/Cow and gate , some organic, some not, we also cook a lot of her meals ourselves using non organic produce, i don't think it matters at all, Ella and Hipp just happen to be organic

Pinkheart5917 Wed 31-May-17 11:23:56

I feed my babies home made stuff no pouches or sachets. I feed them good quality food but don't buy organic

You can just feed your child the same meals as you, you don't need the sachets/pouches etc and imo they are over priced anyway.

cookiefiend Wed 31-May-17 11:24:37

Ours just eat whatever we eat. I read (years ago) in two separate (reputable, but I can't remember where) places that whilst there is no evidence about organic food generally that there is a case for giving children organic milk. (Once they are on cows milk at one)

Mostly this was to do with the sheer quantity they drink in relation to their body size and so limiting anything in the milk was a sensible, but not essential precaution.

MrsHathaway Wed 31-May-17 11:50:51

I'm back.

I daresay organic pouches/jars are more nutritious than normal, but I'm sure that homemade is better still (as the heat treatment denatures certain vitamins etc).

So for a portion of pasta bolognese, say, homemade > organic pouch > cheapy jar.

InDubiousBattle Wed 31-May-17 12:24:54

I buy organic meat but that's for all of us not just the kids. It's more of an animal welfare issue than health specific tbh.

I vaguely remember reading something about organic milk too cookie so we go organic for that too.

For fruit going fully organic would cost us a fortune because they eat so much of it!

healthyeating Wed 31-May-17 12:30:45

I am just starting to wean my youngest and pretty much will follow what I did with the eldest. We're starting with fruit and veg (not organic), and then usually will have a little of what we're eating (not organic and no salt added). I do buy jars/pouches but they're usually for if we're out/ feeling lazy/disorganised!

Expectantdan Wed 31-May-17 13:59:13

Thank you everyone - I suppose there are some things that are more important than the organic label! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now