Talk

Advanced search

Giving up breastfeeding

(8 Posts)
parmavioletmartini Tue 23-May-17 21:38:20

How to do it!

DD is 10 months. Was exclusively breastfed until 6 months (huge bottle refuser) been eating very well since she was ) months and has been on 3 meals a day and snacks since then.

I had reduced down to 2 feeds a day first thing and a bedtime feed.

For 4 days I have been trying to give her formula in a cup (the one she drinks plenty of water from) and she has point blank refused any of it. So no morning milk at all now. The nighttime feed has been half hearted and fussy for a while also.

I'm now completely lost as to how to stop. I had assumed she would just go onto a cup for both these feeds and that would be it.

(But in 6 weeks I'm going away for 5 days so need to have solved this by then.)

I do not want to continue breastfeeding any longer before anyone says just carry on. I also don't feel it's fair to leave DD with my husband to deal with the cold turkey approach alone in case it spectacularly misfires.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

RNBrie Tue 23-May-17 21:42:06

Can you express? I'd try giving expressed breast milk in the cup to see if she'll go for that then add some formula mixed in with breadsticks.

If that doesn't work or you can't express I'd either try cows milk or just cut out milk altogether and up calcium intake via cheese and yoghurt and a good multivitamin.

RNBrie Tue 23-May-17 21:42:45

Breadsticks not required. That was sullied to say breast milk grin

RNBrie Tue 23-May-17 21:43:00

Oh ffs.

PotteringAlong Tue 23-May-17 21:44:13

Try expressing milk, mixing it with formula and gradually reducing the ratio of breastmilk to formula so the taste change is less noticeable!

Heirhelp Tue 23-May-17 21:49:18

Not answering your direct question but my 1 year old daughter was ff from 6 weeks and she refuses to take milk from a cup so I give her lots of yoghurts, cheese and soya puddings for the calcium. Toddlers (over 1s) don't need milk but they do need 350mg of calcium a day.

kirschtorte Tue 23-May-17 21:58:42

Try giving it in a completely different style of cup from the cups you use to give water. Worked for me.

Kingseye123 Wed 24-May-17 15:19:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now