Talk

Advanced search

Advice please on how to proceed with 16 month old and meals

(12 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Tue 23-May-17 13:04:15

I feel a bit flummoxed today as I'm not sure how to proceed. DS2 is just hardly wanting to eat and this has been ongoing for over a month now (previous thread about it).

I was doing a mixture of finger foods and puréed food initially and that worked pretty well. Then all the finger foods were constantly thrown off the table so I started offering porridge instead of toast in the morning and slowly it seems as though he is eating less and less unless I blitz it. For example he used to eat sliced fruits and vegetables but now it's just dumped on the floor constantly.

So I was thinking it could be teeth and seeing it as a phase and just persevering with blitzed up food except now he is spitting that out too. I'm encouraging him to feed himself but the cutlery gets hurled off the high chair, then the bowl. It's become a battle and that was the last thing I wanted ☹️

Aside from the food he doesn't want to eat he is still breast fed and gets organic whole milk in a sippy cup.

What do you think I should do?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 23-May-17 13:07:56

We went through a phase like that. One thing that worked for us was keeping the plate out of reach as more than 3 pieces at a time seemed to overwhelm her. Also we ditched purees and moved to risotto etc. A small table and chair instead of a high chair could also help.

savagehk Tue 23-May-17 13:09:28

Do you eat with him at mealtimes, or is he fed at different times (or different foods)?

SleepFreeZone Tue 23-May-17 13:27:46

I wonder if he just isn't hungry enough as I'm keeping him topped up with milk. I find my toddler is very fussy unless he is hungry and then he'll eat anything.

savage sometimes we rest together but I find I don't get a chance to eat at these times as I'm trying to help the children. So normally it's the kids and my DP and I'm facilitating it all.

SleepFreeZone Tue 23-May-17 13:27:59

*eat

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 23-May-17 13:56:47

I'd consider only offering cups of milk at the end of mealtimes, and also trying to carve out some time to sit with him at mealtimes (even if it's just to have a cuppa)

WheresTheEvidence Tue 23-May-17 14:02:52

I nanny for a 17 month old.

He has

Breakfast - a bowl of cereal (cheerios/shreddies/wheetabix) mushy enough he can feed self with a spoon plus a small cup of milk afterwards
Snack a breadstick/half a rice cake etc
Lunch finger foods (sandwixh/fruit)
Snack a breadstick or piece of fruit
Dinner - 1pot dinners (casserole, pasta&sauce, risotto) that he feeds self on a spoon.
Bedtime a cup of milk

I would limit milk and only offer after meals.

SleepFreeZone Tue 23-May-17 18:03:26

I think that's definitely my starting point. I need to get him more hungry and reoffer things he was eating previously.

He looks really well body wise but I feel like we're creeping backwards and I don't want that.

missanony Tue 23-May-17 18:05:22

No snacks, inc milk. Ds only had a cup of milk at bedtime from 16mo

Kingseye123 Wed 24-May-17 15:19:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SleepFreeZone Wed 24-May-17 21:56:23

Ooh what did Kingseye say?! 🤔

We've had a better day today. I restricted the milk and snacks and he was much more interested in feeding himself lunch. I'm still not happy in getting enough variety into him but he is definitely cutting his last back molars now so I'm hopeful it could be a phase.

missanony Wed 24-May-17 22:05:38

Just try to sell stuff I think!

Have you tried a teething powder before a meal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now