Talk

Advanced search

2 week old becoming very unsettled after bottle

(6 Posts)
Civilsoot Sat 20-May-17 11:05:19

Up until the last couple of days my 2 week old has been a dream. However, he's become very upset when feeding.

He's on cow and gate with size 1 teat MAM bottles.

For example, last night at midnight he took 3oz and was straight back to sleep no problem. Awake at 3am and struggled like crazy with that feed.

He'll take an oz fine but then will cough and gag so well stop the feed but then he's hysterical crying and frantically rooting, give him the bottle back, same gag /root/ cry again for every ounce.

I'm thinking it's the start of silent reflux. Will comfort milk help?

It doesn't happen with every feed though, that's the confusing thing.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 20-May-17 21:18:45

No idea sorry but hopefully this will bump for you.

Congratulations on your new baby too thanks

happydays00 Sat 20-May-17 21:25:40

Could it be trapped wind? Does he really guzzle the first oz? Are you able to get any wind up when he stops and is distressed? I would mention it to your HV but I'm not sure silent reflux would kick in that quickly during a feed - my experience of this is limited though.

1000jobstodo Sat 20-May-17 21:31:40

My dd had silent reflux (also called acid reflux) and had these symptoms. She'd suddenly start screaming and throwing her head backwards. You can try infacol but for us that didn't work. We went to gp in the end who prescribed a medicine.
Could also be an intolerance to the lactose in the milk, but that's more constant crying and colic type symptoms (dd had this too hmm) so for that we used colief.
From what you describe and the sudden intense reaction id say call gp as it sounds like silent reflux.
Sorry j couldn't be more helpful I'm trying to remember a few years back. Best of luck to you and your baby in getting this sorted asap!

Civilsoot Sun 21-May-17 11:24:10

Thank you all for your replies. He's a little better with the infacol. I'll see how we are during the week and take him to the GP if he's not settled by Friday.

Kingseye123 Wed 24-May-17 15:22:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now