Talk

Advanced search

Almost 8 weeks old and hourly feeding

(12 Posts)
Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 19-May-17 11:14:36

I understand babies have a growth spurt (one of many) at around 6-8 weeks. However, my LO (7 weeks 3 days old) feeds hourly for most of the day and morning. I get one or two 2-3 hour stretches from 11pm-6am (approximately). I am exhausted and feeling worse than I did at 4 weeks!
Ironically, when the HV came at 6 weeks, LO was taking short feeds, I was getting engorged and had a forceful let down, but baby wasn't feeding hourly at that point, more like 2-3 hourly with the occasional 4 hour stretch at night, and we just thought she was feeding efficiently. The next day LO started this hourly feeding business again.

Does this ever end?

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 19-May-17 19:22:34

Bumping for the evening crowd.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 20-May-17 21:20:34

How are things tonight? Is it still the same or has there been any improvement?

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sat 20-May-17 21:44:41

Thanks for asking. Better during the day today, but erratic. I guess that's how breastfeeding goes. If her eighty week weight check is good then I suppose it has all been worth it. However, it's going to be a difficult 4 months if it continues like this until we introduce solids! I can't really plan anything at the moment as I never know when she is going to want to feed!

Neverknowing Sat 20-May-17 22:14:50

Yes it does get better and fairly soon I'd say. I'd also say you're lucky though, my DD fed half hourly for ages!!

HurricaneHalle Sat 20-May-17 22:19:15

All perfectly normal going on my own bf experiences. The hourly feeding was draining! I found that if I went out and about that I was able to stretch the time between feeds out however if the baby is hungry then the baby is hungry!

musicalmama Sat 20-May-17 22:29:15

My feeding settled to every 2 hours from about 10 weeks then 3 hours by 16. Every baby is different though.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sat 20-May-17 22:46:42

That must have been difficult. She did feed 3 times in an hour 2 days ago and that was tough. Not expecting textbok baby but just a little sleep now and again would be nice!

Neverknowing Sat 20-May-17 23:34:02

I let my DD co sleep and it made everything a lot better easier as you can still sleep! Maybe that would help you to get a little sleep?

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sun 21-May-17 10:01:03

I'm a bit uncomfortable with coalescing as I don't trust myself to not roll over her or move the covers on top of her. Plus I really would like for her to be able to sleep in her cot. If she goes 3 hours at night, I can cope, it was just the hourly morning to 11pm feeds that got me down. I should be looking like a stick insect with all the feedings she has been doing! Had a better day yesterday so maybe she is over the worst of it. Although, we have immunisations next week and I get the feeling that she will in general be an erratic snacker rather than a 3 hourly feeder. Nobody tells you this about breastfeeding, do they?!

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sun 21-May-17 10:01:24

Co sleeping, not coalescing!

Kingseye123 Wed 24-May-17 15:23:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now