Talk

Advanced search

Almost 8 weeks old and hourly feeding

(11 Posts)
Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 19-May-17 11:14:36

I understand babies have a growth spurt (one of many) at around 6-8 weeks. However, my LO (7 weeks 3 days old) feeds hourly for most of the day and morning. I get one or two 2-3 hour stretches from 11pm-6am (approximately). I am exhausted and feeling worse than I did at 4 weeks!
Ironically, when the HV came at 6 weeks, LO was taking short feeds, I was getting engorged and had a forceful let down, but baby wasn't feeding hourly at that point, more like 2-3 hourly with the occasional 4 hour stretch at night, and we just thought she was feeding efficiently. The next day LO started this hourly feeding business again.

Does this ever end?

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 19-May-17 19:22:34

Bumping for the evening crowd.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 20-May-17 21:20:34

How are things tonight? Is it still the same or has there been any improvement?

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sat 20-May-17 21:44:41

Thanks for asking. Better during the day today, but erratic. I guess that's how breastfeeding goes. If her eighty week weight check is good then I suppose it has all been worth it. However, it's going to be a difficult 4 months if it continues like this until we introduce solids! I can't really plan anything at the moment as I never know when she is going to want to feed!

Neverknowing Sat 20-May-17 22:14:50

Yes it does get better and fairly soon I'd say. I'd also say you're lucky though, my DD fed half hourly for ages!!

HurricaneHalle Sat 20-May-17 22:19:15

All perfectly normal going on my own bf experiences. The hourly feeding was draining! I found that if I went out and about that I was able to stretch the time between feeds out however if the baby is hungry then the baby is hungry!

musicalmama Sat 20-May-17 22:29:15

My feeding settled to every 2 hours from about 10 weeks then 3 hours by 16. Every baby is different though.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sat 20-May-17 22:46:42

That must have been difficult. She did feed 3 times in an hour 2 days ago and that was tough. Not expecting textbok baby but just a little sleep now and again would be nice!

Neverknowing Sat 20-May-17 23:34:02

I let my DD co sleep and it made everything a lot better easier as you can still sleep! Maybe that would help you to get a little sleep?

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sun 21-May-17 10:01:03

I'm a bit uncomfortable with coalescing as I don't trust myself to not roll over her or move the covers on top of her. Plus I really would like for her to be able to sleep in her cot. If she goes 3 hours at night, I can cope, it was just the hourly morning to 11pm feeds that got me down. I should be looking like a stick insect with all the feedings she has been doing! Had a better day yesterday so maybe she is over the worst of it. Although, we have immunisations next week and I get the feeling that she will in general be an erratic snacker rather than a 3 hourly feeder. Nobody tells you this about breastfeeding, do they?!

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sun 21-May-17 10:01:24

Co sleeping, not coalescing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now