Talk

Advanced search

Colic - please help

(5 Posts)
harleysmammy Thu 18-May-17 09:10:24

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but yesterday, I realised my 3 week old son has colic. For the last 2 days he's been very grizzley where as before he was the calmest baby ever. I originally thought it was because I had given him a dummy for the first time and he was pining for it (didn't want him having a dummy my whole pregnancy, still don't want him having it but a family member bought him one and stuck it in his mouth when she was looking after him for 5 minutes whilst I went to the toilet). Other than being grumpy, he's been fine; feeding normally, plenty of wet and dirty nappies, no temperature, not acting different other than than the crying. I also noticed yesterday it was more so after I got back from taking him for a walk around 3-4 pm and I know colicy babies cry more in the afternoon (I think that's what I read anyway). I didn't actually know what colic was, but when I phoned my auntie whos a baby clinic nurse, she said it is painful for the babies but not harmful. I'm glad obviously it's not harmful but I hate the thought of him being in pain, so is there anything I can do to get rid of the colic or help relieve it? Thank you x

arbrighton Thu 18-May-17 13:53:13

I think rubbing tummy (has to be clockwise for some reason apparently) or gently bicycling their legs helps a bit

tiktok Thu 18-May-17 16:31:38

What happens if you just feed him when he's grizzling, op?

harleysmammy Thu 18-May-17 17:08:12

If he's genuinely crying because of hunger he will drink but he's in quite a good routine so when he's crying and not due a feed, he won't drink or he'll suck for a few seconds and give up. Sometimes a dummy soothes him, more often than not but there has been times he hasn't even wanted that. He is still feeding good though, he gained 11 lb in a week. I have colic drops now that will hopefully make a difference x

Newtothis11 Sat 20-May-17 01:45:23

If it's only been the last couple of days it could be something else - bsbies tend to be extreme crying rather than grizzly with colic - where nothing soothes and they refuse a feed.

Now he's 3 weeks he'll be getting more alert and interested in things- so the feed eat sleep cycle now needs to include some play.

IMO wait to talk it through with your hv or gp before starting colic drops. There are a few things around just be sure what you're giving is what he needs - eg. colief- works on digesting lactose in milk if DS doesn't have this issue you don't want to make his body used to something he may not need. Whilst I know it's frustrating when baby is unsettled why not see how the next couple of days go. Try the massage techniques, reflexology points on feet to aid digestions - they really work!, Tummy time can help, a little more play and interaction.

Trial and error - don't just do new techniques when DS is cross it's too late by then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now