Talk

Advanced search

BF baby fussing when latching

(7 Posts)
Nurse15 Mon 15-May-17 18:10:39

Baby was born 3 weeks early at 37 plus 1. Latched well from beginning until around two weeks when she has started refusing to latch when hungry. She behaves as though I am trying to poison her when putting her on!! Arches back, cries, punches my boobs with her fists and kicks her legs out. Once she's latched she feeds well and around every 3 hours so does seem to be getting enough etc. The left side is worse than the right and lying flatter with her on me seems to work as the best position for feeding her. Any idea what's happening? I basically can't feed her out of the house as she makes such a scene about latching!!

Blossom789 Mon 15-May-17 20:53:20

Does she settle straight away? I was just thinking with you saying she feeds better flatter does she struggle with the initial let down of milk??

fanfrickintastic Mon 15-May-17 21:06:30

It's very normal. Especially at that age - fussing at the boob actually helps milk supply increase. She's just doing what comes naturally! Annoying as it is. Should settle in a few weeks.

CaveMum Mon 15-May-17 21:22:34

Did she suffer any trauma during her birth? I ask because both of mine (DD3 and DS4 weeks) did/do the same and both got stuck at the shoulders during delivery. On the advice of a lactation consultant I saw a cranial osteopath for a few sessions with DD who identified some tension issues in her neck and head that she said could be making it uncomfortable to turn her head in one direction.

I know that some people think cranial osteopathy is a load of woo, but it did seem to help DD and DS has already had one session and is going back again next week for a final check.

It could be something worth looking at.

mowglik Mon 15-May-17 23:21:33

How many weeks is your lo? Mine started doing this a couple of weeks ago at 5ish weeks. Still doing it and it makes feeds quite stressful. In my case I don't think it's anything to do with supply as he starts the fussing before he's even latched on sometimes.

Re laying flatter helping, could it be she's fussing from an overactive letdown?

Nurse15 Tue 16-May-17 05:50:23

Yes she feeds straight away once latched! She's a dream to feed once latched! She was born via c section as she was breech so osteopath might be worth a go for her. How would I know if it was letdown causing the issues? Thanks in advance!!

Nurse15 Tue 16-May-17 05:50:45

Oh and she's 2 weeks 5 days today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now