Talk

Advanced search

Introducing bottle - advice needed

(5 Posts)
user1487282905 Sat 13-May-17 18:56:32

I am breastfeeding DC2 who is nearly 4 weeks old. Over the last few nights I have started trying to introduce a bottle for the last feed before bed (about 10ish) as with DC1 I followed all the rules and waited to introduce a bottle but he never took one, which I found very trying.

The first couple of times she took an ounce or two of formula after a breastfeed, but last night she refused/was full. I have decided to try a bottle of expressed milk tonight but only managed to express a couple of ounces this morning. My question is can I offer the bottle first and then top up with breastfeed or should I continue to offer after a breastfeed?

Also, I want to continue to breastfeed but not sure how much regularly I will be able to express - will offering one bottle of formula a night really affect my milk supply?

Aliveinwanderland Sat 13-May-17 19:00:14

At only 4 months your supply is still building so it isn't really recommended to introduce formula at this stage, however you need to do what's right for your family. I introduced a bottle at around 4months and only used formula as I could never express very much. DS is now 6.5 months and I'm doing some Kit days at work and only using formula but am expressing during the day to try and maintain supply. I only get 4 oz though from both sides after not feeding for hours!

user1487282905 Sat 13-May-17 19:50:33

Thank you Aliveinwanderland - I have been worried about that as I do want to breastfeed so will try and express as much as possible... the main thing i am worried about is ensuring DC2 will take a bottle as I will be going back to work much earlier this time around!

Aliveinwanderland Sat 13-May-17 22:22:26

My DS wouldn't take one at first. I have just gone back to work so at 5 mo that we decided to force the issue and stated doing one bottle a night. First week he played with it and only had an once, now he takes 6oz easily.

I never express, hate it- too time consuming and to get a full feed it would take me 3 sessions so just not worth it!

Aliveinwanderland Sat 13-May-17 22:23:00

Sorry I meant 4 weeks not 4 months in my previous post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now