Talk

Advanced search

infant gaviscon

(7 Posts)
Helbelle75 Sat 13-May-17 07:23:32

Sorry - long! Skip to the question for the short version!

Background:
Our 4 week old daughter is mix fed because of weight loss issues in the first couple of weeks.
Typically she will have 30 minutes at the breast followed by 70 ml top up, usually made up of half expressed milk and half formula. We do this around every 3.5 hours and she tops up from me in between This is working well and she has gained weight very nicely over the last fortnight.
However, she is starting to bring back a lot of her feeds, even when we wind her and keep her upright for 30 minutes afterwards. It seems to be worse when she's had more formula.

Question:
Our midwife has suggested using infant gaviscon as she thinks it's reflux. Anyone else successfully used this?

MrsMulder Sat 13-May-17 07:38:25

I would check she isn't being overfed first op before starting medication. Has the health visitor worked out her requirements? She may be getting more from the Breast now and a 70ml top up after a breast feed seems like a lot.

Helbelle75 Sat 13-May-17 08:01:51

Thanks for the reply.
The hospital gave us this plan a couple of weeks ago and it has crossed our minds that she's now getting too much. We're very paranoid about her losing weight again (she's still not back up to birth weight) so a bit scared to change it.
We're seeing the health visitor on Monday so I'll ask then. We've considered breast feeding only with a couple of formula only feeds. It's a minefield!

Youvegotafriendinme Sat 13-May-17 08:08:00

My DS wasn't getting enough from the breast so I changed to bottle at 4/5 weeks. He then seemed to eat a lot- 5-6oz very 3 hours. He was being sick and ended up in hospital as I had been over feeding him. The doctor gave us a plan of 4oz every 3 hours. A few weeks later he started being sick again so when we visited the doctor she said it was reflux and gave us the baby gaviscon. It worked for DS really well the first time. A couple months later the reflux returned so back on the gaviscon. It worked but gave him severe constipation.

If your doctor had already given the plan for the amount of milk, even though it may sound a lot, then try the gaviscon. I was told you can use half a sachet per bottle to lessen the chances of constipation. Hope your LO feels better soon

Helbelle75 Sun 14-May-17 10:14:39

Thank you. It's so difficult to get it right isn't it.
I'm spacing out the feeds a bit more, so she's still having the same amount but not all in one go. It seems to Have worked and I'll speak to the hv tomorrow.

MrsMulder Sun 14-May-17 17:42:10

It is a bit of a minefield. I tried lots of different things with my daughter, they all seemed to make her more uncomfortable and in the end I realised that I was a lot more bothered by the vomiting than she was (she was gaining weight well despite it). In the end I just let her grow out of it, she was nearly 1 by the time she totally stopped but weaning helped. Talk to your health visitor tomorrow, if she is gaining weight they may well suggest reducing the top ups.

Kingseye123 Wed 24-May-17 15:26:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now