Talk

Advanced search

Finished breastfeeding

(12 Posts)
user1467397458 Thu 11-May-17 17:08:12

After 4 years, I have finally stopped breastfeeding. I'm really pleased to have stopped (looking forward to buying new non-breastfeeding bras!), but also a bit sad that it is the end of an era, especially as I'm unlikely to have another baby. Not sure why I'm posting really, just not something I'm likely to chat to people about in real life and feel the need to get it off my chest (no pun intended!). Thanks for reading.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Thu 11-May-17 18:52:20

feel the need to get it off my chest (no pun intended!). Thanks for reading. grin

I felt sad too when I finished Bfing, I think the change in hormones plays a part.

FetchezLaVache Thu 11-May-17 19:03:43

I felt sad too. DS was 3.6 and it was already quite sporadic. One day he asked for a BF while we were cuddling on the sofa, unlatched after about 5 seconds and said "I've had enough of that now" - and there was something about the way he said it that sounded so final, I just knew it was the end of that particular era.

Sending big empathetic hugs! (It is great to get your norks back to yourself, though). grin

user1467397458 Thu 11-May-17 21:13:36

Thank you for your empathy - nice to know it's not just me smile. I feel a tiny bit guilty as well, as I decided to stop rather than it being DD's decision, though she's been fine about it, so I know I'm being daft!

blamethecat Thu 11-May-17 21:20:00

I stoped at 3.6 I do miss it occasionally (like today when he was poorly) and while in the main it did come to a natural end ds does still love cuddling up to my boobs ! One thing I have noticed is my skin is a complete mess. Really spotty like teenage skin I guess due to the hormone change, it's been almost 6 months and it's slightly better but still far worse than I had even as a teen.

user1467397458 Thu 11-May-17 22:01:53

Oh dear, not looking forward to an outbreak of spots!

MrsNuckyThompson Thu 11-May-17 22:03:29

I cried when I stopped feeding my DS the week before his 2nd birthday. That was in the full knowledge that I would most likely have another child (feeding DD right now).

Can imagine this is a very bittersweet moment for you!

Starstarbright599 Sun 14-May-17 09:38:31

I felt all hormonal after I gave it up too. It's something not talked about enough.

jaggythistle Sun 14-May-17 13:15:09

Oh man. I'm feeding no 3 who is almost 2. I've been either pg or feeding (or both) since 2009. It's going to be kind of strange knowing I won't be doing any of it again after this. 😔

I'll remember to watch out for being a hormonal mess. ..

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Sun 14-May-17 13:28:07

If it's any consolation, DD stopped feeding at 4 because she lost her latch. She said there was no milk left but I had a 6 month old at the time who was getting plenty! So although I didn't choose when to stop, neither did she really. So there's no need to feel guilty.

DS is starting to come to the end now, we've had the odd day with no milk at all but it's usually bedtimes. But it's like magic and he goes from jumping around to asleep within minutes so I'm reluctant to give that up grin

By the time he stops, I'll have been breastfeeding for over 7 years, my hormones are going to go fucking crazy aren't they!

Kingseye123 Wed 24-May-17 15:29:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Kingseye123 Wed 24-May-17 15:29:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now