Talk

Advanced search

Juggling looking after 19 month old and breastfeeding newborn

(13 Posts)
firsttimejoj Wed 10-May-17 15:10:48

Hi there,

I have a 19 month DD and a hungry 10 day old DS who has been happily on the breast or in my arms for the best part of each day. All this has been possible because my mum has been around to entertain my 19 month old.

She's leaving next week and DD will go to the childminder for the rest of the month whilst I recouperate from a painful episiotomy.

Once she's back in my full time care, my newborn will be 4 weeks old and I'm currently at a loss for how I'm going to maintain all these cuddles and feeds whilst tending to my 19 month old.

Does anyone have any advice? I BF my DD and have already forgotten when feeding starts to spread out, so maybe it'll be easier by the time DS is 4wks old?

How often did your 4wk old BF?

What did you do to entertain your young toddler when BFing?

Thanks in advance,

Jo

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 10-May-17 17:49:27

Congratulations on your new LO smile

I entertained DC1, who was and still is a very busy person, by taking him to playgroups and sticking DC2 in a wrap. By the time we got home and had lunch it was time for DC1 to nap, so lots of time for feeding and cuddling then.

Kellymom has some good tips on managing a toddler and newborn here.

You'll be fine smile

SarahOoo Wed 10-May-17 21:24:04

I only have one baby who is four weeks and she feeds around every three hours. Sadly it's sometimes way less than that! Little bub has a tongue tie too so painful nips a lot of the time!

firsttimejoj Thu 11-May-17 07:22:45

Thanks both for your helpful comments😊

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 11-May-17 07:48:16

My DS is now 4 months, DD was 21 months when he was born. She was at nursery 2 days a week but the other 3 days honestly weren't as bad as I feared! I just stuck to the toddler's routine so we were out in the mornings at groups and classes and pottered around with walks and the park in the afternoon and baby just fed around it all (so long as you're happy to feed on the go!). If we were in the house and DS needed a feed and a nap, I did use half an hour of CBeebies to give him a chance to sleep.

If you can feed lying down, I always take DS for a feed and a nap once I've put DD down for her nap - it's the highlight of my day, reading a book or mumsnet in peace! grin

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.

Sunshineandlaughter Thu 11-May-17 09:13:22

Nursery

Feeding out at park whilst she played - harder when they are littler like yours tho

Setting up an activity like play dough, water bucket and cups, crayons,

Snack time for toddler too whilst you feed

And a lot of the time - tv blush

firsttimejoj Thu 11-May-17 12:35:54

Thanks ladies, great advice!

MoodyOne Fri 12-May-17 11:29:15

Have you tried feeding in a sling ... you can then at least move around the house a little or go for a walk to the near by park 😘

Nottalotta Sun 14-May-17 04:39:40

I have a 19 month age gap and was really worried about this. Ds1 fed constantly. Ds2 is much easier. He does have told stick to his brothers routine somewhat though. Toddler group twice a week where he runs around and I feed babu as and when. We go out every morning, so up, breakfast, quick wash up/tidy. Back upstairs to get us all ready, then go. Whether it's a group or shopping or visiting, it helps. Then we do walk, trike etc in the afternoon.

Ds1 is very good in his highchair so he'll be offered a snack then a book or colouring. I put the radio on or a CD (he likes dancing, won't watch telly......confused)

Ds2 is 3 months old now and his brother is already much better at playing while I sit and feed.

firsttimejoj Fri 19-May-17 11:16:43

Thank you for the advice ladies! I'm going to invest in a ringsling for feeding on the go and then follow DD1's routine. Just hoping she looses interest in vigorously bouncing him in his bouncer and bashing him on the head!

Nottalotta Fri 19-May-17 13:55:02

Ds2 is 3 months and still vigorously bounced......

bigmamapeach Fri 19-May-17 15:28:27

Our age gap was really similar... it was tough I remember. But play groups/stay n play sessions at childrens centres were really great. especially if the older one was familiar with the staff and they were often so helpful and recognise that it is a tough time. And park a lot, with the small one in sling and I remember having to chase up some scary climbing frames for the bigger one! It is doable. Definitely a few weeks in BF tends to be better established and you can be confident once getting past 2 weeks (regained birth weight etc) that the milk is flowing in the right direction! Keeping up with the nappies, though, that is a different matter. Hope everything heals really well. All the best :-)

firsttimejoj Sat 20-May-17 12:45:06

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now