Talk

Advanced search

Baby only feeding from one side

(9 Posts)
SquedgieBeckenheim Tue 09-May-17 10:07:41

10 week old DD is now refusing to feed from the right breast. This is a new thing after a period in hospital where she was tube fed. I've always had over active let down, but she used to cope with it once the initial spray had died down. She now point blank refuses to latch and feed. She'll just lay there giving me the evil eye!
Can I give up and only feed from the left, or should I persevere with offering the right? Will she eventually learn to cope again?

newroundhere Tue 09-May-17 10:12:00

Can you hand express to get over the let down and see if she'll be a bit more comfortable?

SquedgieBeckenheim Tue 09-May-17 10:20:35

Tried that, didn't work.
Also been expressing to keep it "empty" to reduce the spray effect, but that hasn't worked either.

newroundhere Tue 09-May-17 11:47:28

My DS wasn't able to latch on one side - we went to see a cranial osteopath and things did seem to improve. Might be worth a go as they can tell you if there is anything 'structural' that might make it difficult for your DD to feed on one side?

SleepFreeZone Tue 09-May-17 11:49:23

Are you using a variety of positions to encourage your daughter to feed from the less wanted breast? I always found the rugby ball position excellent and was advised by the midwife.

LilyRose22 Tue 09-May-17 11:52:54

I had same problem. I managed to trick little one by lying her down in position as if I was going to offer right breast but actually manoeuvred left breast into her mouth (hope you understand!), took a while but eventually she accepted both without fuss. I think one breast had better let down than the other so that was her preference

SleepFreeZone Tue 09-May-17 12:40:22

I also like lying down with the baby and feeding. I still feed my 16 month old morning and through the night and we always lay down to do it. It's just easier.

BabytoBoris Tue 09-May-17 12:44:44

I second the idea of trying ither holds.

My little one would initially only feed of on his left hand side so I had to do a rugby ball hold for one side and a normal hold for other. He had one blocked up ear and nostral so he wasn't comfortable lying on one side

Kingseye123 Wed 24-May-17 15:31:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now