Advanced search

Possible mastitis? See a dr or not?

(23 Posts)
SingToMeInFrench Sat 06-May-17 20:15:20


I suspect I have mastitis- a couple of days ago I got. Red mark on my left breast (now faded) and a sore nipple. Now I have a temp of 39.3, can't get warm enough and have the shivers. My breasts are very sore and hot to touch, and I'm continuing to feed.
Also have pains all over, headache etc.

DS is 5 weeks.

Do I need to see an ooh? Or can it wait?

Stuckatthestopsign Sat 06-May-17 20:16:11

Ooh now!

Floggingmolly Sat 06-May-17 20:16:49

Yes, you probably need antibiotics. Don't wait.

BubbleLamp Sat 06-May-17 20:19:13

This was me 5 days in and I ended up on a drip - you need antibiotics, so yes call OOH.

Massage fairly forcefully towards your nipple in warm shower to help clear the blocked duct and continue to feed or express.

Hope it's better soon.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sat 06-May-17 20:19:46

Yes, see a doctor tonight.

MrsChopper Sat 06-May-17 20:22:15

Yes! Get antibiotics asap!

Also warm flannels and massaging the area will help. You have to continue feeding from that boob, it will help to unblock it.

SingToMeInFrench Sat 06-May-17 20:23:17

Oh gosh, ok- I've taken ibroprufen , if that takes my temp down should I still be worried?

DH thinks I should wait about 20mins.

Stuckatthestopsign Sat 06-May-17 20:23:19

When you feed massage towards the nipple on that boob to try and unblock it too

Stuckatthestopsign Sat 06-May-17 20:24:45

Yes because mastitis is an infection and bringing down the temp is just masking the symptoms - you need to treat the infection. It's not life threatening but you should get antibiotics if required sooner rather than later.

MrsChopper Sat 06-May-17 20:26:56

Def still go see a doctor. Mastitis was awful for me and it took a while to get better even with the antibiotics!

BubbleLamp Sat 06-May-17 20:27:42

Don't mess about you need antibiotics. Pain in the arse on a Saturday night (it's always night time / weekends when these things happen) but you have an infection and need to get it treated before it gets nasty. I ended up in a bad way - call the ooh number.

SingToMeInFrench Sun 07-May-17 15:44:21

Thanks everyone. Saw OOH and now on antibiotics

Sunshineandlaughter Sun 07-May-17 20:48:54

Good work. Hope you get better soon - mastitis can be nasty. Make sure you feed feed feed from that boob. Some hv's may tell you not to feed - it's absolutely the wrong advice - you need to unblock everything by flushing through

Ohyesiam Sun 07-May-17 20:51:42

I was told to put a cabbage leaf in my bra, and it worked wonders. Swelling and pain resolved, temp came down.

SingToMeInFrench Tue 09-May-17 14:07:27

Might have to buy some cabbage leaves- antibiotics don't seem to be working. Flu like symptoms are back and both boobs are hurting now....confused

SingToMeInFrench Tue 09-May-17 15:28:27

Feeling awful- I don't know wether or not to phone gp or not? Shouldn't the antibiotics be working by now? Im sitting here crying because I've got both DS to look after- husband is in bed with a cold.

My boobs are still so painful- i did think maybe it was a cold, but my boobs wouldn't hurt/be hot to touch?

SingToMeInFrench Tue 09-May-17 17:14:45

Temp is back up to 39 degrees, but feel freezing.

Got a go appointment for 9am

Sunshineandlaughter Tue 09-May-17 20:01:32

Can you get an ooh for this evening? Probably you need different antibiotics?

robinia Tue 09-May-17 20:04:47

I'd get an ooh appt. It's likely to be worse in the morning.

Ktown Tue 09-May-17 20:06:50

See a GP
While you wait have a hot bath and massage with flannel and also get your kid to breastfeed like crazy to unblock it
La leche league website has brilliant advice

Londonbum Tue 09-May-17 20:07:06

Are you also massaging your boobs and emptying them frequently? I've had lots of mastitis and ime antibiotics on their own aren't enough, you still need to work to resolve the blockage, with lots of eg massage, hot water, regular ibuprofen, combing your boob etc.

SingToMeInFrench Wed 10-May-17 06:05:30

Thank you all- sorry for the radio silence last night. My fever eventually broke at 2am and I am feeling much better.

I've been following advice of the massage, flannels and painkillers and it seems to have really worked.

I was thinking of going ooh last night, but I was in no fit state to drive and DH is also poorly and couldn't drive.

Jenijena Wed 10-May-17 06:10:16

Go back to the doctor if the antibiotics don't work. I speak as a veteran ofmastotis and the first batch/type of antibiotics never shift it for me. It's one of the things no ooh doctor seems to mind seeing...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: