Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible that my baby doesnt like her Next2Me?

(18 Posts)
user1493011399 Thu 27-Apr-17 13:32:15

Hi,

My daughter is 11 days old and is constantly feeding through the night and might go an hour between feeds. Even between feeds she seems very restless and my partner and I are extremely sleep deprived.
I have one of the Next2Me for her, but is it possible that she doesn't like it because it's so much bigger than the cots at the hospital? Ever since we have been home she never seems to settle in it but seems to settle a bit more in her bouncer so I end up sleeping downstairs with her as she will be in the bouncer and we all get at least some sleep.
It might just be that by the time I put her in the bouncer she is ready to settle, but wondering if it is possible that she doesn't like the Next2Me because it is so much bigger so she doesn't feel as secure?
Anyone have any ideas?

HeyCat Thu 27-Apr-17 13:37:23

Well it's possible. You could try getting a sleepyhead and putting that in the next 2 me - that would make her feel more snuggled in.

Bear in mind though, they usually sleep better in hospital than once they get home because they're really tired from being born, so it's normal for sleep to get worse once you're home.

It gets better.

Stuckinstressville Thu 27-Apr-17 13:39:10

We ended up with a sleepyhead in ours, but it could be reflux? Silent relflux? have you tried the angled options on the bed? Worked well for us for the same reasons.

To be honest ours liked his and still behaved liked this from time to time!

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Thu 27-Apr-17 13:42:35

As a PP says babies just plain tend to be very sleepy in the first few days and then less so, so it might have nothing to do with the cot.

It's very very common for tiny babies to only really settle when held/against a person. You could try the sleepy head to simulate this. I'm also a cosleeping advocate and gave up on the separate cot within a week - will just take baby into bed with me and not bother next time!

Summertime10 Thu 27-Apr-17 17:44:49

Congratulations on your new baby!
A sleepyhead or the purflo breathable nest might help.
Both are safe for overnight sleeping.
X

Whatsername17 Thu 27-Apr-17 20:53:55

I love the sleepyhead. Your baby's only instinct is to stay with you. With the sleepyhead you can have it on your bed, on top of the covers, to safely cosleep. With my dd we pent the first week with me sleeping with my head resting on the sleepyhead and my hand on dd2s chest or cheek. Gradually, I was able to gently put the sleepyhead into her crib and gradually withdraw. By the 4th week she was sleeping in it perfectly, only coming into bed for feeds. Make sure you wind her after feeds. Dd2 is so unsettled if she has wind. She squirms a lot. Pop your lo on your chest and wind until you get a bus before putting her down.

Whatsername17 Thu 27-Apr-17 21:01:41

Burp. Not bus!

arbrighton Thu 27-Apr-17 21:27:10

she's only 11 days old, you may just need to hold her while she sleeps for a few more days

Perhaps google 4th trimester?

MoodyOne Fri 28-Apr-17 03:33:51

Ohh congratulations! My baby wouldn't go in his next to me until he was a month old (and we had to use a gro bag so he was still warm from BF when we put him down) we had to bring the Moses basket up every night for the first month as that was the only place he would sleep (that and co sleeping) he's now 3 months old and always in his chicco ... it's so handy

Helbelle75 Fri 28-Apr-17 03:37:23

We're the same. She looks really little in the next to me, so we've brought her moses basket up for now, which happens to fit perfectly in the next to me. She's a lot more settled now and still close to us.

Kathryn160417 Fri 28-Apr-17 03:58:00

Thanks everyone.

We bought some of them gro bags but then realised it advises to not use on baby under 7.5lbs and my daughter is only tiny (5lb9 born).
Think I'll give it a few days as also doesn't help she seems to have night and day mixed up!

PodgeBod Fri 28-Apr-17 04:09:43

Are you swaddling her? It really helps a lot of babies to feel warm and secure and stops their startle reflex waking them. You can get special blankets with velcro if you want, I got one from TK Maxx and it was all my daughter slept in for a while.
Congrats on your newborn.

Kathryn160417 Fri 28-Apr-17 06:00:14

We haven't been swaddling but might try it as she definitely likes being held close and wrapped up etc

Whatsername17 Fri 28-Apr-17 10:27:03

Swaddle! It's amazing. A sleepyhead might really work if she wants to be held.

mancnet Fri 28-Apr-17 10:33:33

Our baby wouldn't go in his either until we got a sleepyhead. Expensive but worth it!

stolemyusername Fri 28-Apr-17 10:37:58

Swaddle her and a sleepy head worked for us. But please don't let her sleep in the bouncy chair, it's a SIDS risk due to the way their heads settle slightly forward

Kathryn160417 Fri 28-Apr-17 11:56:08

Never heard of a sleepy head until now. Had a quick look at them and they do have brilliant reviews but I can't help but think they might be dangerous or cause SIDS cause of the huge sides, then again they wouldn't have such good reviews would they?? I just worry about so many different things with it being my first!

Whatsername17 Sat 29-Apr-17 19:18:00

I think the photo makes the sides look deceptively big. Here is my dd as a newbie. You can see she isn't squished in but she is snug.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: