Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

mebendazole breastfeeding

(5 Posts)
babynelly2010 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:29:33

We have threadworm situation. Everyone in the family took mebendazole but me. I have newborn baby 12 days old and breastfeeding.
I read up on this medication and it said you can have it as it is not observant through the gut but the drug is not officially licensed for breastfeeding.
I called nhs 111, they said dont take it.
I called national breastfeeding hotline and they said you can take it is safe but possibly can reduce milk supply.
My gp is my next stop tomorrow but i am so grossed out by this and want to take some medication for it. We brought the over the counter family pack.
Anyone took this while breastfeeding.

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Apr-17 08:22:12

Hi OP, we're just going to move this over to the Infant Feeding topic as we think you may have posted here by mistake.

bigmamapeach Thu 27-Apr-17 14:49:30

Did you read this fact sheet on the drug in breast milk

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/threadworms-oct14.pdf

Can you get gp on phone and ask to discuss this fact sheet with them and whether they can advise you if safe to take. Maybe you can email the link to them (or tell them the keywords so they can google for it)

babynelly2010 Thu 27-Apr-17 19:22:49

Hi, yes I spoke to gp this morning and he said it is safe to have, I had a dose this morning. Cleaned all bedding, soft toys are out the room. Trim all nails, everyone on strict hygiene routine.

Thank you :-)

bigmamapeach Fri 28-Apr-17 17:24:53

Great news!!!! Brilliant outcome. Hope it nixes the nasty fuckers fast

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now