Talk

Advanced search

Help with increasing size of feeds

(7 Posts)
daisygirlmac Sat 22-Apr-17 19:10:14

I posted a few weeks back as DS was taking a long time to get through a feed and got some good advice but he's still not doing so well. HV has been out to weigh him this week and he has only made a tiny gain - she is a little concerned as he's dropping centiles but I just don't know how to get more in him. He's had green liquid poo for weeks and been v uncomfortable with it so she suggested changing him to a lacto free milk which I did yesterday, obviously too soon to see if that makes a difference to his poo.

He very rarely gets through 5oz per feed, usual is between 3 and 4 and it takes around 45 mins. He's often sick but doesn't seem distressed by it so the HV thinks not reflux. He often falls asleep while feeding but otherwise he will mess about with the teat, fling his head back so it falls out or just open his mouth so the milk dribbles out when he feels he's had enough. Have tried winding at intervals, not winding at all, offering the remainder of the feed up to half an hour afterwards, stroking his face to keep him sucking - nothing seems to work. He is also not having lots of feeds - today for example he's had 4 feeds so far of 3-4oz and I just don't think it's enough.

He is otherwise happy and seems healthy but the HV wants me to keep an eye and get him weighed again in 2 weeks. I'm worried if he doesn't start to feed properly he's going to end up losing too much weight. Has anyone any suggestions?

dementedpixie Sat 22-Apr-17 19:13:03

What age is he? Have you tried a faster teat? It could be an issue with cows milk protein rather than lactose (which is the sugar in the milk)

daisygirlmac Sat 22-Apr-17 19:17:53

Almost 11 weeks. Yes I've tried a faster teat and he didn't like it at all, lots of coughing and spluttering and crying. How would I know if it was cows milk protein rather than lactose please?

Blossom789 Sat 22-Apr-17 19:54:11

I'm bf so have little knowledge of formula but it sounds like the feeding difficulties relate to some discomfort or digestive issue which you are seeing through the poos the other end. Can you ask for s referral to paediatrician?

daisygirlmac Sat 22-Apr-17 22:48:11

He was on neonatal for a week so we went for a check up with the consultant last week and I asked him about it - he said get some gaviscon. You can't even use gaviscon with the comfort milk DS was having at the time so he was no good. So far I've asked 3 midwives, the HV and 2 GPs, only the HV has taken it seriously in any way and she's the only one with any suggestions. Should I be going back to the GP do you think? He's my first baby and I just don't know what's normal.

Blossom789 Sun 23-Apr-17 03:30:04

Perhaps see the outcome of changing milk then see gp?

Sunnie1984 Sun 23-Apr-17 04:12:42

Definitely sounds like he needs a larger teat size. It can take a good week or so before they get used to the faster flow.

So I would persevere with a biggger test for now and see how the lactose free milk suits him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now