Talk

Advanced search

Is my supply about to stop

(9 Posts)
AC14MUZ Thu 20-Apr-17 18:10:54

This may be a stupid question blush but I have no idea.... I just got my period today, does this mean my supply will stop? My LO is 4 months old, I've been exclusively breastfeeding him. He has slept through the night since 8 weeks so I've been going for long periods without feeding for a while now.

I really would love to breastfeed him as long as possible. But now I'm worried my milk will soon be gone sad

Eclecticmama Thu 20-Apr-17 18:13:28

No doesn't mean your supply is stopping. Some people's periods return the following month after delivery and are able to BF until it's right for them to stop.

TittyGolightly Thu 20-Apr-17 18:14:35

Night feeds are key to keeping up supply. Generally if you're feeding 5 times a day or more your periods will not return.

Longji Thu 20-Apr-17 18:16:36

Not at all. My periods returned at 7 months post partum and I fed my DD until she was 21 months smile

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 20-Apr-17 18:17:31

I very much doubt your supply will disappear. Sometimes it can drop a little when you get your period but not stop altogether. I'm feeding my 10 month old and just had my first period and I'm continuing as normal. The same was true with my first baby as well.

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 20-Apr-17 18:19:15

My periods came back when DS was 4 months old, and he carried on bf until nearly 2yrs. It's not an indicator of milk supply.

Is your baby feeding happily during the day? Gaining weight, weeing etc?

AC14MUZ Thu 20-Apr-17 18:34:53

Feeding happily several times throughout the day, every 2-3 hours between 7am and 9pm and his nappies are wet. I wasn't worried until today! Maybe I should start expressing during the night to help keep my supply up?

Does the return of my period mean I am now at risk of getting pregnant?

This is my first baby so feeling rather clueless about everything...

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 20-Apr-17 18:51:48

That sounds like a happy bf baby smile No need to express.

And yes, make sure you're using some contraception unless you're planning DC2.

Enjoy your baby, sounds like you're doing a grand job flowers

AC14MUZ Thu 20-Apr-17 19:42:50

Awww thanks RhinestoneCowgirl grin

When I express I hardly get anything, 10 ml each side if that, bit my LO must manage to coax more out of me because the nappy I just changed was very heavy! I should stop worrying about expressing someone told me what I express isn't a good indication of what my LO gets from me. I certainly hope so based on what I've been expressing recently!

I like to express so my DH can give one bed time bottle after bath time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now