Talk

Advanced search

Is this all ok? Breastfeeding question...

(9 Posts)
wineapotamus Sun 16-Apr-17 06:23:54

I posted here a few weeks ago and everyone was so helpful that I thought I'd fling myself at your collective wisdom again. Thank you in advance!
Dd is 6 weeks on Monday, is now ebf, and when had her first weigh in with no formula had gained 210g in ten days. She is happy and alert when awake and is fed at least on demand, at 10 times a day, every 2-3 hours with cluster feeding in the evening. The only time she doesn't get fed if she's fussy is when we know she's tired and she's recently been fed. We swaddle and rock her, if she doesn't settle to sleep pretty much straight away she gets fed again.
However there are a couple of indicators that have bothered me.
She doesn't poo everyday, more like every 2-3 days. Often they are epic but not always.
So the "plenty of wet and dirty nappies" thing is a bit of a red flag.
Last night she slept 11-5. I know I know I am obviously pleased with the sleep but she didn't seem overly ravenous when she woke and wouldn't take much at all from the second boob. I'm worried about the effect on supply so just tried to hand express but know that isn't anywhere near as effective as baby feeding. She's gone back to sleep now while i sit up and fret.
She didn't regain birth weight till 3 1/2 weeks, and hasn't climbed back up to birth weight centile yet,
Hv said bring her back in 2 weeks to weigh again so they obviously aren't too concerned. I wonder if I'm being silly but my questions are
1.will not feeding for 6 hours effect the supply. Should i wake her up in the night/ get up and pump?
2. The whole "breastfed babies don't always poo every day" thing. When does that start from?
Thanks for getting this far!

worrierandwine Sun 16-Apr-17 07:00:02

Bless you, you sound just like me when I had DD1. Sounds like you've got a perfect routine going and a content baby. I wouldn't worry about supply at all, she's controlling that and knows exactly what she needs. If they're huge and sore from it just hand express a little off over the sink to take the swell down. It will stop her taking too much air in too as they struggle to keep up with the flow of milk sometimes.
With the nappies, DD2 would only generally poo every 2-3 days then do a BIG one or a couple of big ones, again, nothing to worry about.

worrierandwine Sun 16-Apr-17 07:05:25

P.S - I remember DD2 going 6 hours and I had the "oh my god she's missed a feed" panic but it didn't last, she soon picked the feeds up again after a few days and my supply re-adjusted. You'll probably find in a few days she doubles her feeds to get the supply back up. Be guided by her, she knows what she wants and exactly how to get it! grin

mummydoc123 Sun 16-Apr-17 07:05:28

I agree with Worrier. Your supply will be fine and often breastfed babes don't poo for days. Mine went about every 3 or 4 days then had massive one.

hiimmumma Sun 16-Apr-17 07:07:43

I feel like I could have written this post about my LO. Minus the 11-5 sleep!
We took ages to get back to birth centile and the HV made me feel worried too but when I spoke to other people it's actually really common. As long as she is gaining weight she will get there.
My LO often went 4 days without pooing at around 6-10 weeks. I was worried too but the GP said he had some babies that went 10+ days and only then would he worry too.

I don't want to say for sure because I am not an expert but I don't think that your supply should be affected. Is she cluster feeding in the evening before going to sleep at 11?
My LO if 6 months now and will go 7+ hours some nights and my supply has never been affected by that. But as I said it might be worth checking in with your local BF clinic or HV because I don't want to give incorrect advice.

Babies have a overwhelming instinct to feed when they are hungry. If she needed more food she would let you know about it!
It's impossible not to worry. But it sounds like you are doing everything right.
Just keep getting her weighed if it puts your mind at ease to see her weight creeping up. That's what I did.

Blossom789 Sun 16-Apr-17 07:54:44

Sounds like things are going great, my DS is end and doesn't poo for a few days and then pops a lot for a few days. There's none of this size of a £2 coin his are nappy fillers!

DS also very rarely takes second boob, I never really cracked when to swap over as when I did he'd take too much foremilk and end up with green nappies. You'll start to find a pattern with it now LO is 6 weeks, this will be yours and babies pattern not like the books say!

Blossom789 Sun 16-Apr-17 07:57:17

Just to add- when your feeding pattern changes you will get big full boob/boobs. I still do now, DS now 13 weeks is sleeping longer at night (hurrah) and by morning my one boob is enormous!

Increasinglymiddleaged Sun 16-Apr-17 08:03:16

In terms of birth centile dd2 (ff) has never regained hers, she's now 5 and short so I'd be rather worried if she did. I would have thought the main thing now is for her to find a centile and stick to it.

wineapotamus Sun 16-Apr-17 15:28:19

Thank you! It's hard not to worry about every thing, even though this is my second child! I had a tricky, emotional time getting feeding sorted for my son and lack confidence in my ability to feed her! I am self prescribing Easter eggs, tea and mumsnet to address this! Thanks again...xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now