Talk

Advanced search

Considering stopping breastfeeding

(6 Posts)
Linzi528 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:57:17

Hi yummy mummys,
Just a bit advice please.
My baby is 10 weeks old and I'm breast feeding. I'm considering on stopping but in two minds as I feel like I'm not spending enough time with my 8 year old daughter as constantly breastfeeding. I've expressed but only manage to get 4-5oz a day as boobs start to hurt.

I feel people will think I've failed for not breastfeeding 6 months like my first.

Ahhh help
Xx

Preggocinders Fri 14-Apr-17 19:11:01

Firstly, well done for getting to 10 weeks! It's a hard job and you've done really well. Is there a way you can engage with your 8 year old while breastfeeding? Have her beside you and do something together you can do with one hand? Colouring in etc?
But if you do feel it's in yours and your family's best interest to stop then do so. No one can judge you for doing your best for your family.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Apr-17 19:15:09

If you feel that you aren't spending enough time with DD, could you do any activities together whilst you are feeding like Aquabeads or reading?

If you are thinking of stopping, I think the current advice us to drop one feed every two weeks. This is to give baby time to adjust to the new amounts they need to drink and to reduce your risk of mastitis. So if you were feeding 8 times a day, it's advised to take 16 weeks to move over to ffing, which should take you upto 26 weeks anyway.

If you are thinking of moving over more quickly you could speak to a BFC on one of the Breastfeeding Helplines about your feelings and to help yiu to come up with a plan. Have you got the helpline numbers? smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Apr-17 19:16:17

X-posted with @Preggocinders smile

Linzi528 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:39:39

Awww thank u, Yeah I'm trying to do activities together where we can sit down.

Yeah I have the numbers thank u.

I just feel the first time I breastfed it didn't feel hard and tying but this time it does.
Xx

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Apr-17 19:46:38

The first time you didn't have another child to look after though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now