Talk

Advanced search

Trying to stop BF

(17 Posts)
Fattynoms02 Fri 14-Apr-17 10:02:04

I've EBF Dd for 6 months and during that time, really struggled with getting her to take a bottle.
She isn't yet taking solids, which is another battle. She will drink some formula from a Tommy tippee cup. I've a family party in 2 weeks time so will be away from her. Not sure what we'll do if she won't take the cup for night feeds.....
Anyone got any advice on how to get her off the boob?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Apr-17 19:18:04

Are you wanting to stop completely or do you just want some tips about the party Fatty? smile

Fattynoms02 Sun 16-Apr-17 09:13:49

I'd like to stop completely. But unfortunately she gets hysterical if she can't have the boob! hmm

gloopygloop Sun 16-Apr-17 09:20:47

I'm no expert and can only tell you what I'm doing with my ds who is 6 months. I'm going back to work so have to stop although I'm hoping to keep the morning and night time feeds if I can.

I've taken it really slowly and introduced one feed at a time so started with a bottle in the day, then once he was happily taking that (it took A couple of weeks) I then replaced another feed with a bottle etc...

I also had to try lots of different formula and bottles to see what he would take!

Good luck!

LapinR0se Sun 16-Apr-17 09:25:05

You need to wait til she's hungry but not starving then get someone else to give a bottle.
Lots and lots of distraction is key so feed quite upright in arms walking around singing or watching tv.
Don't try and put the test straight in, place it next to baby's mouth and wait for her to turn her head and keep walking and singing while she drinks.

Fattynoms02 Sun 16-Apr-17 14:34:12

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. smile

LapinR0se Tue 18-Apr-17 15:41:27

Did you have any luck?

Fattynoms02 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:37:34

No not yet but I think it's because she knew I was there....dh will have to persevere!

LapinR0se Tue 18-Apr-17 18:39:15

How long did he try for? I'd give it up to an hour

Highlove Tue 18-Apr-17 19:23:02

I'm also trying to stop feeding an 8mo boob monster who won't countenance milk from any source but me. Lapin are you saying DH should be persevering with the bottle for up to an hour at a time? What about if/when baby gets upset? Am desperate and very much open to suggestion!

LapinR0se Tue 18-Apr-17 19:25:07

If the baby gets upset just distract distract distract. Like I said lots of singing and walking around. You absolutely need to be out of the house.
V important that you do it when the baby is a bit hungry but not at all starving.

LapinR0se Tue 18-Apr-17 19:26:17

Also at 8 months you could try just going to a sippy cup.

Highlove Tue 18-Apr-17 19:43:26

Thanks - will try that then. Yes, sippy cup also rejected.

LapinR0se Tue 18-Apr-17 19:45:35

And remember don't go straight in with the teat. Put it next to the mouth and wait for them to turn their head then slip it in and keep walking around

Highlove Tue 18-Apr-17 19:54:02

Thank you!

Fattynoms02 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:01:22

Argh....still not making any progress. Bottle refused, sippy cup refused from me/dh/dm.
We're now wondering if the taste of the formula could be an issue?

Fattynoms02 Fri 21-Apr-17 12:59:52

highlove
I've just had some advice from the hv that I thought I'd share with you in case it's of any use.
She said to get the baby on vitamin drops and speed up the weaning process. Start by dropping tomorrow mornings feed and giving her porridge made with formula.
Keep going with formula in beaker or doidy cup. Hide the formula in different foods where possible. If she's having less than 500ml of formula a day, this is where the vitamin drops come in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now