Talk

Advanced search

Bad feeder

(5 Posts)
Lguckian Wed 12-Apr-17 21:25:08

My DS is almost six months. He was 9lbs 9 ozs when he was born so a fairly decent size. I ebf for about 4.5 months and then moved him onto bottles for a number of reasons, one being his poor weight gain. He hasn't done much better on bottles though. He's now on the 25th percentile and some days I really struggle to get him to drink much at all. I've started him on solids but it's v early days and he's not taking much yet. Anyone any advice on how I might get him to drink some more? TIA

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 13-Apr-17 22:58:39

Does he have any other symptoms apart from poor weight gain? How many weight centiles has he dropped? Is he tracking his length centiles and meeting his milestones?

Increasinglymiddleaged Sun 16-Apr-17 08:12:55

I don't think you can make them drink more than they want to. It's a breastfeeders' myth that you point the bottle at ff babies and they down the lot, it isn't true ime. Interestingly out of my two they tracked the same line but dd2 (the less active, shorter plumper one) drank far more than dd1 (the skinny long one). It is entirely unfathomable tbh.

How long has he been on 25th centile for or is he still dropping down? Are the HV/ doctors worried? Both of mine were 25th centile followers. Interestingly the one of mine that drank little milk ate well once she started weaning but refused formula entirely. I think she didn't like it and only drank it when she was ravenous.

Whatsername17 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:19:02

My dd never took much milk. Bf failed due to lactation failure so she was completely ff from about 3 weeks. She never took more than 4oz in one go. Most of the time it was 2oz at a time. Persevere with weaning. Introduce another 'meal' each week until you are up to three. At 6 months start to introduce finger foods too. Continue to offer milk regularly too.

Shadowboy Sun 16-Apr-17 08:22:09

Mine is similar but not as much of a drop as yours. My daughter was born at 8lb 14 which was on the 75 centile. By 12 weeks she'd dropped to the 52nd. She's not really bothered about feeding. Gets easily distracted and will only take bottles at a specific temp (warmer than the recommended 37 degrees) so it's a lot of faff.
She's now steady on the 52nd so I'm happy with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now