Talk

Advanced search

Reflux.. what is normal?!

(5 Posts)
Jojo13 Fri 07-Apr-17 12:42:39

DS is 4 weeks. Formula fed and Had reflux problems, bringing up so much milk so swapped to anti reflux milk.
This seemed to give him diarrhoea and make him very uncomfortable (although he was sick a lot less!)
Spoke to doctor who suggested going back to normal milk and using gaviscon to help keep it down, which we are now trying.
He seems a lot happier in himself but he is now bringing up milk when feeding and in between feeds (like an hour and a half later) he is still bringing up small amounts. This is obviously disturbing his sleep. He would be doing 4 hours a night in between feeds but at the moment is waking in between to be sick.
I'm getting hardly any sleep.
What's normal? What can I do?
I am doing all the obvious -propping up cot, winding a lot whilst feeding etc.
So frustrating.

Thanks

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 07-Apr-17 19:40:37

What you've described doesn't sound too unusual at that age. Some babies are a bit sicky, and going less than 4 hours at night is not unusual either. I'm not sure what else you can do really, but I'm sure it will improve as his system matures.

blue2014 Fri 07-Apr-17 21:07:58

I'd get him weighed every week and would say if he's putting weight on he is fine. My DS is 17 weeks and just started loosing weight so that's how we know the reflux is severe

Jojo13 Sat 08-Apr-17 09:54:15

Thanks for you're replies.
The sick and mess itself I can handle(!) it's just that is still happening so long after a feed that he just won't go down and settle for a sleep.

blue2014 Sat 08-Apr-17 11:17:53

Is the sick distressing him? If so I'd consider ranitadine as it may be that the acid is burning. My GP says babies aren't usually bothered by the sick in itself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now