Talk

Advanced search

Copper coil and breastfeeding

(12 Posts)
BABYLOVE02 Wed 05-Apr-17 23:21:58

Can it have any affect on milk supply.

Does any have any good or bad experiences.

Thanks

BABYLOVE02 Fri 07-Apr-17 00:24:24

Does anyone have any first hand experience of this please. Many thanks

Blossom789 Fri 07-Apr-17 21:17:21

I'm interested in this too- went to see about having one fitted (is that the right word?!) and the nurse said there's no impact on breastfeeding.

BABYLOVE02 Sat 08-Apr-17 08:43:14

Hi, yes the nurse told me no impact, however they told me that the progesterone only pill has no impact, when it actually majorly reduced my supply.

Also I'm thinking if the copper coil can cause constant periods, could that also affect supply.

First hand experience anyone. Please

Blossom789 Sat 08-Apr-17 09:36:08

Oh really, I'd not thought of that.. thanks for raising. Although I dont have periods at the moment, are you thinking it'll kick periods to start? I'm watching with interest.

NotCitrus Sat 08-Apr-17 09:53:42

Mine had no effect. POP made me terribly depressed and did reduce supply, but as I had oversupply that part wasn't bad.

BABYLOVE02 Sat 08-Apr-17 10:27:20

Thanks I'm not sure about periods to be honest but good to hear Notcitus had good experience with the copper coil. Thank you

Blossom789 Sat 08-Apr-17 11:35:11

Just had a quick google search on other forums, views are mixed about whether periods return- some did and they were heavy whereas others had none. There didn't seem to be anyone saying it affected milk supply but lots of people wondering about it. One thread suggested you breastfeed whilst it's inserted arms it eases insertion.

Please share a few experiences- good and bad with us!!!

Monkeyface26 Sat 08-Apr-17 11:42:49

I had copper coil after each of my 2 DCs, fitted when they were roughly 3 months old. Only fed dd1 to 4 months, but I don't think coil affected supply. Fed dd2 to 11 months & never had any supply issues.
Have been using copper coil for 15 years. Can't remember whether am on my 3rd or 4th now. Insertion was painful but over quickly. Each coil made periods heavy (properly, annoyingly heavy) for about first 12 months and then they settled down for next few years. My periods have never been made longer in duration by the coil - still about 5 days long, just much heavier for the 1st year. The sort I have is replaced every 5 years if you don't have them removed beforehand to conceive. Removal no trouble. Personally I love it.

MaudGonneMad Sat 08-Apr-17 11:45:36

The risk of perforated uterus during fitting is significantly increased if you are breastfeeding.

Blossom789 Sat 08-Apr-17 17:49:19

Monkeyface did the coil you had after your child whilst breast feeding bring your periods back??

IrnBruTortie Sat 08-Apr-17 19:02:36

I previously had the copper coil, about 2 months postpartum (I think). They wouldn't fit it any earlier because of the potential risk as PP said. My periods didn't return until 8-9 months. No bad experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now