Talk

Advanced search

Is my 12 month old self weaning?

(5 Posts)
PetrovaFossil1 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:59:24

Hi, I've got a 95th percentile 12 month old who has taken to solids like a champ but seems to have lost almost all interest in breast milk.

This has been a gradual thing but he's now refusing his Pre bed milk which means he only takes a short feed first thing in the morning and rarely a mid afternoon one. I've been pumping to keep my supply up and he has been sick and has sore throat so I wondered if that could be making it painful to feed?

If he doesn't want to continue feeding that's fine but I'd like to make sure as I want to carry on if I can

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Sat 01-Apr-17 21:04:01

My dd2 self weaned at 13 months. I wanted to keep feeding but she had other ideas. Everything you read says that babies don't wean at this age which made me feel really guilty that I might have done something to put her off.

I hand expressed for 2 weeks to see if she'd go back to it but she didn't.

PetrovaFossil1 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:04:03

I should mention, I've tried to feed him in his sleep and he'll start off ok but then wakes up and cries when he realises what is happening.

PetrovaFossil1 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:04:56

Thanks Cream. I've also read that they don't self wean this early which was why I was querying it too

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Sat 01-Apr-17 21:08:20

I felt the same as you that I'd be happy to carry on. It was sad that it ended with her fighting me off! I tried the feeding in her sleep and the same happened. She is 6 now and her early self weaning was indicative of a strong will!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now