We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is my 12 month old self weaning?

(5 Posts)
PetrovaFossil1 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:59:24

Hi, I've got a 95th percentile 12 month old who has taken to solids like a champ but seems to have lost almost all interest in breast milk.

This has been a gradual thing but he's now refusing his Pre bed milk which means he only takes a short feed first thing in the morning and rarely a mid afternoon one. I've been pumping to keep my supply up and he has been sick and has sore throat so I wondered if that could be making it painful to feed?

If he doesn't want to continue feeding that's fine but I'd like to make sure as I want to carry on if I can

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Sat 01-Apr-17 21:04:01

My dd2 self weaned at 13 months. I wanted to keep feeding but she had other ideas. Everything you read says that babies don't wean at this age which made me feel really guilty that I might have done something to put her off.

I hand expressed for 2 weeks to see if she'd go back to it but she didn't.

PetrovaFossil1 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:04:03

I should mention, I've tried to feed him in his sleep and he'll start off ok but then wakes up and cries when he realises what is happening.

PetrovaFossil1 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:04:56

Thanks Cream. I've also read that they don't self wean this early which was why I was querying it too

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Sat 01-Apr-17 21:08:20

I felt the same as you that I'd be happy to carry on. It was sad that it ended with her fighting me off! I tried the feeding in her sleep and the same happened. She is 6 now and her early self weaning was indicative of a strong will!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now