Talk

Advanced search

Baby on 2 day routine

(22 Posts)
mummytoalbie Fri 31-Mar-17 21:34:57

Anyone else's baby seem to be on two day routine? I struggle to get my baby in a set routine he is now 3 months old and sleeps through the night, one day he will wake 7 to 7.30 have a feed then back to sleep till 9.30/10.00 another bottle 11/11.30 then 3/3.30, 7/7.30 he will then sleep right through if we let him ( we used to wake him at 11 for a feed) till around 6 which then means he then has bottle every 4 hours from this time having last bottle at 10 which means 1 day his only having 4 bottles then the next 5. Any ideas how i can get him in a set routine everyday??

Thank you

Heirhelp Fri 31-Mar-17 21:38:41

Why does he need to be in a set routine? The advice is to feed on demand so feed when he is hungry.

If you are looking for a structure try the EASY routine. Baby Eats, does ACTIVITY, then Sleep and you can have You time.

mummytoalbie Fri 31-Mar-17 21:42:59

I just thought it would make it easier for him
And us, i did try feeding on demand but i found he would sometime go over 5 hours between feeds and I thought this seemed too long? He rarely crys for his bottle but when i give it to him after 4 hours he drinks it all. It's just hard knowing what to do for best always seem to get giving different advice

sleepthiefsmum Fri 31-Mar-17 21:45:28

I have no daytime routine with my nearly 5 month old I just follow her lead through the day, at 8pm through its always bath book bottle & bed.

The days he's only taking 4 bottles could you not add an extra ounce or two to each feed?

mummytoalbie Fri 31-Mar-17 21:48:56

How long does yours sleep for after last bottle at 8? i was worried letting him go from 7.30/8 till 6/7 was too long for him, his a good weight was 14lb 4oz 3 weeks ago

Onlyaplasticbagdear Fri 31-Mar-17 21:50:26

What's a 2 day routine?

Mine wasn't in any sort of routine at all until 6 months when he dropped the third nap. You can't force a routine.

Heirhelp Fri 31-Mar-17 21:50:28

Crying is a very late hunger cue. Have you been shown/looked up hunger cues?

Heirhelp Fri 31-Mar-17 21:52:33

kemh.health.wa.gov.au/services/breastfeeding/feeding-cues.htm

1AnnoyingOrange Fri 31-Mar-17 21:53:19

Sorry, just came to see what a 2 day routine was, get it now!

I don't have a personal routine. Sometimes I get up at 6am, sometimes (if I am lucky) 8am. Sometimes I eat a large breakfast, sometimes I eat straight, away other times I might have a shower and eat after. A routine makes me feel bad (although some things like work need to be done to a schedule) and so I avoided any with my children. Except for the 5 mins before going to bed when they were toddlers - so they knew it was time for sleep.

Is he putting on weight ok? If so I genuinely dont see a problem with what you are doing. Maybe this is the best way for now?

mummytoalbie Fri 31-Mar-17 21:54:12

I'm not forcing a routine on him as i try and feed as and when he wants but like i say this sometimes means him going well over 5 hours, and yes i do know the signs of hunger which he doesn't show either

sleepthiefsmum Fri 31-Mar-17 21:57:26

She sleeps from 9pm right through till 7am.

She's 20 weeks tomorrow and was weighed at 18 weeks and was 13lb11.
I honestly don't think you've anything to worry about letting him sleep so long. I would try it and in a couple weeks get him weighed again and play it by ear.
I've heard of people dream feeding?
Like topping your baby up when you go to bed? I don't know much about it though.

mummytoalbie Fri 31-Mar-17 22:02:22

Yeah i may just give it a go, was just concerned at it meant having just 4 bottles a day instead of 5. We did try dream feeding but found he just woke anyway and would then stay awake for another hour or so, his always been a good sleeper (touch wood) his a big boy for his age so although his only 3 months his same weight and length as some of my friends babies who are 6/7 months

sleepthiefsmum Fri 31-Mar-17 22:11:13

He's certainly seems bigger than my girl and there's nothing coming over her.

This new mummy thing is hard isn't it? We don't know if we're right or wrong and everyone has an opinion hmm
My little is going to nursery in July and I figure she'll fall into their routine so that's the main reason why I play it by ear, as I don't see the point in stressing about a routine now for her to fall into another one in 3 months.
I would personally just let him sleep but keep an eye on his weight as that's what I'm doing.

mummytoalbie Fri 31-Mar-17 22:12:04

Sorry i just put 2 day routine as didn't know how else to explain it 😂😂 basically means his in a routine just spread over 2 days lol

mummytoalbie Fri 31-Mar-17 22:16:30

Thank you sleeptheifsmum, yes its very hard as i get so much different advice of family or friends and being first time mum i'm just constantly worried i'm doing it wrong. I'm defo going to stop worrying about the whole routine thing and see how he goes

creaser Fri 31-Mar-17 22:18:43

Don't feel bad about wanting a routine it isn't a crime some people do some don't.
My daughter is 16 weeks feeds at 7am back to sleep about 9am anything up to 45 mins. Another feed 10.30-11 back to sleep at 12-2pm another feed at 2.15-2.30pm final nap about 4.30 for half an hour bath at 5.30 bottle at 6.15 and put to bed awake at 7.
She sleeps till I wake her at 10.30 for her last feed then goes through till 7am and it all starts again. 6oz bottles smile

ifyouthinkiwillsleepyoudream Fri 31-Mar-17 22:20:30

Hey OP - how much does your LO get per feed? (I understand you bottle feed?) Just curious.

My DS is 4 months and has a similar pattern with feeding:
Bf around 7am, 11am, 2.30pm and 6pm.
Then dream feed via bottle at 11pm and he also wakes once (at least!) during the night. He seems to be sleeping longer stretches lately so fingers crossed he might be sleeping through soon! (I am jealous. What's your secret? grin)

sleepthiefsmum Fri 31-Mar-17 22:24:07

I just realised the irony of my name 😂
When I joined mumsnet and made my name she never slept, now she does I should really name change lol

mummytoalbie Fri 31-Mar-17 22:27:30

@creaser that is similar to what i was doing with my little one, which would mean he had 5 x 7oz bottles a day, he would wake around the same time 7-730 then his bottles would be around the same time everyday given half hour or so. I guess if its working i shouldn't really worry about changing it, his a very content baby too.

creaser Fri 31-Mar-17 22:31:17

If you have a contented baby that's putting on weight then your doing it right for your baby...everyone and every baby is different..just keep doing what makes you both happy but don't be surprised if you have the odd off day all babies do smile

mummytoalbie Fri 31-Mar-17 22:32:03

@ifyouthinkiwillsleepyoudream he has 7oz sometimes he will leave an oz though. Aww i suppose i should just count myself lucky that whatever routine he is on he always sleep through. I used to worry that i fed him too much as he was on 7oz from about 5 weeks old. And i think i just got lucky with a chilled out content baby, for now anyway i'm sure it's all gonna change 😂

ifyouthinkiwillsleepyoudream Sat 01-Apr-17 07:55:26

@mummytoalbie thank you! I give him a little less than that before bed. Maybe I will try a little more and see if it makes a difference. Anyway, enough about me, I don't want to hijack your thread.

I know - it is hard not to worry about everything! Overfeeding, underfeeding, too much sleep, too little sleep etc

But it sounds like you are doing it all right and your baby is happy and relaxed! Keep doing what you're doing I'd saysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now