Talk

Advanced search

My diet and breastfeeding... causing explosive nappies??

(13 Posts)
AprilShowers177 Fri 31-Mar-17 08:50:33

I eat a fairly healthy diet DS has regular explosive nappies. He'll have big nappies 2 in a day then none for a day or 2. I'm trying to work out if the nappies are due to what I'm eating. How long after I've eaten would you expect it to be inDS nappy??

Typical days food= weetabix and oats, banana, ham sandwich on whole meal bread, apple, crisps, couple of biscuits and or yoghurt, then dinner varies - pie/gammon/pasta/chicken breast with potatoes and veg/salad. Might have muller rice or toast if peckish.

I've eaten the same throughout (DS is now 11 weeks), he's started to be more windy and more of these big poos.

What do you think? Oh he's developing well- not sickly, no reflux, gaining weight, feeds well etc..

Mermaid36 Fri 31-Mar-17 08:52:46

I find that what I eat has no reflection I what's in the twins nappies.. even spicy stuff!

tiktok Fri 31-Mar-17 15:43:03

Nothing you eat would have this effect....and this effect is within normal, and there is nothing wrong with it. Plenty of babies have these mega-nappies smile

Pollyanna9 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:51:03

Is the poo like bubbly chicken korma?? (sorry for the vivid description!!).

They can have quite explosive poos if they are getting just the foremilk and not the hindmilk. The foremilk is higher in sugar (to get them sucking) and it's not right until the end of the feed that they get the richer higher in fat hindmilk.

Them not getting the hindmilk could be due to the latch not being quite right (if that is indeed the problem). But it's something to bear in mind.

Typically EBF babies will poo ever 4 - 6 days and then it's a big one?

tiktok Fri 31-Mar-17 16:00:12

Pollyanna - not really correct, sorry. For a more nuanced and evidence-based explanation of 'foremilk/hindmilk' see here: www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2010/07/foremilkhindmilk-and-lot-of-confusion.html

The fat proportion of the milk increases as milk is removed, true enough, but to indicate that it's not until the 'end' of the feed that the baby gets the fattier milk and before then it's all 'foremilk' is not quite right.

It's NOT AN ISSUE smile anyway, in a baby who is healthy and thriving.

Pollyanna9 Fri 31-Mar-17 16:19:16

tiktok I'm merely repeating what I was told by Chloe Fisher whom presumably you know who she is.... It is correct that a child who is not attached quite right can end up with bubbly poos - that is fact and I mentioned it for OP in case she wanted to get her positioning checked. I think this is splitting hairs - saying 'the end of the feed' illustrates how the fat content changes as the feed progresses perfectly well.

Sometimes when babies grow larger we retain the bfeeding position that we used when they were days old and they just need not putting so far over. That improves the latch and can thus reduce explosive poos. That is also fact.

tiktok Fri 31-Mar-17 16:35:33

Yes, I know who Chloe Fisher is smile

If she explained things to you in the way you explained them here, then she has it wrong - at least in the sense that the baby only gets the fattier milk at the end of the feed, because this is far too 'blanket' an assertion, and is very misleading.

It is plausible 'bubbly poos' or explosive poos are linked with poor attachment - I wasn't really commenting on that. But if the baby is thriving, gaining weight and happy with no physical problems like reflux, and the mother is not uncomfortable, it's not something I'd be concerned about smile

AprilShowers177 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:08:22

Poos aren't bubbly, they're quite thick really and mustard yellow in colour. He'll go 2-3 days with no poos then have a couple of big ones in a day. HV told me it might be the veg I eat.. but I don't eat masses. My thinking is and I think it goes with what your saying is he's healthy so keep it as it is. I'm certainly reluctant to cut out veg! I feed just from one side usually as he had green nappies when I swapped over

tiktok Fri 31-Mar-17 17:11:07

Oh how ridiculous to suggest it is the veg you are eating.....how on earth would that work, then??!

tiktok Fri 31-Mar-17 17:11:52

His nappies/poos are normal - plenty of babies have exactly that pattern smile

peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 31-Mar-17 17:16:22

I never found any correlation between my diet and DS' nappies (and I'm vegetarian, so your HV's vegetables theory is rubbish). At one point (can't remember his age) he would only poo once a week, but it was atrocious and explosive, as you can imagine!

At 11 weeks his gut will be developing and maturing, which will mean different things happen on the way out, which is totally normal.

And tiktok knows what she's talking about! Take what she says on breastfeeding as the gospel truth smile

FallenSkies Fri 31-Mar-17 17:30:33

My dd had nappies like this. When I started her on solids I discovered a milk allergy - poor girl had been having reactions all that time. Is there a correlation to when you have cows milk products?

AprilShowers177 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:52:03

Thanks everyone feeling very reassured! I'm starting to think I need to ignore the HV!

there's no real correlation with cows milk.. I have milk with cereal and in tea and eat cheese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now