Talk

Advanced search

Baby eventually taking bottle...

(9 Posts)
Ironwoman123 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:43:17

Well a little. She won't take a "proper" feed like she would when breastfeeding, but she'll take anywhere from 1/2oz to 2oz.

She's EBF & 6 months. Never taken a bottle and I've tried loads. I decided to try again the other day after not trying for a month or so and she didn't scream and actually took some milk!

So I've no idea what to do now. Do I continue to offer her a bottle every day? Thing is she only takes an oz or two and when she stops I offer her a breastfeed and she has a "proper feed".

I would really like the option to leave her at some point for even an hour or two or maybe over night but I just don't know how to go from an oz from a bottle to a couple of feeds say 6oz each? Will it come eventually?

I was thinking of just seizing this opportunity and slowly stopping breastfeeding and then she would surely start to take more milk but I don't think I'm ready to stop yet and the thought makes me sad. But then the thought of not being able to have an overnight with OH or a night out also makes me a bit sad.

I'm not sure what To do? Any suggestions.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 29-Mar-17 19:47:32

Bf babies only take an ounce an hour so if she's had 2floz, she should be good for two hours. If you want a night out, there's no reason you can't fill her up with something like oatibix and milk, give her a big bf and leave a bottle smile

Whatsername17 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:02:20

Try not offering the boob after the bottle and see if she will start to take more?

Ironwoman123 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:15:42

I'll try it but she just seems uninterested after a while and starts to play with it in her mouth rather than sucking in. When I offer the boob she latches straight away and takes a good 10/15 minute feed

Also I'm conscious that I may be trying her too soon as I do get a feeling of 'Oh no I don't want her to stop breastfeeding and what if this bottle reduces my supply!' And so as she gets uninterested on the bottle I'm keen to switch her onto the boob to get her to take some breast milk.

I'm not sure what to do though I would love a night off and a break but to give up breastfeeding for an occasional night out seems a waste.

I just can't imagine her being able to be left overnight whilst breastfeeding. She feeds 3-5 times during the night, more for comfort I think so I don't know how she would be with a bottle instead.

I guess I could trial it one night where my OH feeds her during the night with a bottle to see how it goes. Would I need to pump my milk at the same time as she feeds to maintain supply?

Canyousewcushions Wed 29-Mar-17 21:19:50

At 6 months I'd try a sippy cup rather than a bottle, shes may be more amenable to something that's not a nipple substitute. By 6 months an oz or two certainly wont be filling her up.

You must be starting too wean her soon so you're not far off being able to leave her with some food and water which will get her through a few hours without her wasting away.

Canyousewcushions Wed 29-Mar-17 21:21:41

Sorry about typos. Should have previewed! And good luck!!

Ironwoman123 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:45:55

Thanks, she has a free flow spout cup which she isn't keen on. It was actually due to her lack of water intake that I tried her with some water in the bottle.

She's been weaning for about 3 weeks and is doing really well. On 3 meals a day but I was a bit concerned as she wasn't taking much/any water from the cup. So when I tried her with a bottle of water I was surprised to hear her sucking it and taking the water.

And so I tried her with the milk and surprisingly she took the milk too.

squizita Thu 30-Mar-17 14:43:35

I always went by "an hour an ounce" and mine never took more than an ounce or two.

She was firmly in the 'food is fun until they're one' camp AND would hold off on drinks unless from mummy until she was 11 months, when she just sort of decided she liked "bwattel miwk" from dad and "boob boob" from mum. She has not weaned off the book yet, so no fears about that.

Ironwoman123 Thu 30-Mar-17 14:53:51

Thanks. Squizita - have you been able to leave DD over night ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now