Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

White tongue

(10 Posts)
AprilShowers177 Wed 29-Mar-17 17:54:19

DS (10 weeks) has a white tongue at the back with black bits on - looks like he's licked a black jumper is the only way I can describe it.

Looking online, thrush came up but I have no symptoms on me nipples. Would I always have symptoms? Or is it some going else??

AprilShowers177 Wed 29-Mar-17 17:54:35

*something

glorious Wed 29-Mar-17 18:02:25

Is it in patches or all over? Do you have any pain during or after feeds?

AprilShowers177 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:53:41

It's just towards the back of his tongue.. and I have no pain.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 29-Mar-17 19:58:13

My FF baby had this a few weeks ago! I was suprised and wondered how he had it- turns out everyone has candida in their mouths, with babies milk contains lactose which feeds the candida and it can overgrow causing thrush. I had a telephone appt with the GP and he prescribed nyastin drops, all fine again after a couple of days smile

LauraPalmersBodybag Wed 29-Mar-17 19:59:38

Thrush was my first thought. I'd call your HV smile

glorious Wed 29-Mar-17 20:18:31

I'm not an expert but I think it's unusual to have thrush without pain. I may be wrong.

If it's just in one area it's not typical for milk coating either but if it is a solid patch rather than separate spots it could be.

Could you get to a breastfeeding group so someone could take a look?

You could ask your practice nurse to swab for thrush to check if it's actually that. Not all GPs do this routinely when prescribing. bfn have good advice on this - download the linked leaflet here www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/detailed-information/drugs-in-breastmilk/thrush-and-breastfeeding/

glorious Wed 29-Mar-17 20:19:27

Also I should add I don't know about the black bits.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 29-Mar-17 21:36:13

My baby had no discomfort with thrush, none at all. Still fed well etc.

GP didn't even ask to see it, could tell from the description it was thrush and left a prescription for us to collect.

AprilShowers177 Thu 30-Mar-17 01:58:05

Great, thanks everyone glad it's not just me that's puzzled. I'll call health visitor tomorrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now