Talk

Advanced search

Thrush

(19 Posts)
Sunisshining12 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:17:30

Has anyone had nipple thrush in just one breast? I have pain in my left nipple during feeding & also pain when not feeding. Mainly the nipple.

My LO has 2 white patches on the back of her tongue, won't come off.

GP gave nystatin which has given her very runny poo. I'm using clotrimazole on nipple.

How long does it take to clear up? The pain is excruciating 😢

MoodyOne Wed 29-Mar-17 17:08:44

I had it in my right nipple and my baby didn't have any in his mouth... I used Daktarin (I think it's spelt) oral gel ... I used to give him a tiny amount and put it on both nipples after each feed ... (yes the oral gel on my nipples) and I didn't have to wash it of to BF.
It cleared up in about 4 days so I didn't have any pain, but I used everything the doctor gave me until it ran out, so I think it was about 10 days
The best thing that helped me was walking around as much as I could with no top on, to really air them and on a evening I bought some cheap Primark vests and stick breast pads inside, so it wasn't tight but I wasn't leaking milk everywhere

Make sure you wash towels and pyjamas and tops I did them all on a 90 wash but I think anything from 70 kills it and iron your bras to

Also any milk you have expressed and frozen make a note on it as it's not proven but freezing doesn't kill thrush just makes it dormant ... so I just threw all mine away 😢 but I think you can use it while you are both being treated

I hope it clears up soon for you!

Sunisshining12 Thu 30-Mar-17 02:02:37

Thanks for the reply - can Daktarin be used on young babies (1 month old)? Can it be purchased from chemist or do I need a prescription?

Moody, just wondered how did you know that you had thrush if no pain/white in baby mouth?

I've got a load of washing to do tomorrow to kill all the germs! Luckily I don't have much expressed milk in the freezer :-)

Sunisshining12 Thu 30-Mar-17 02:04:30

It anyone has any other suggestions to get rid of thrush FAST please share, the pain is through the roof tonight 😥

Newmanwannabe Thu 30-Mar-17 03:11:26

You could take a fluconazole (diflucan is one brand name for it) tablet. (Dose is 1 tablet two days apart- so two tablets).

Yes the gel is fine for babies but you need to apply it using your finger or a cotton bud. The chemist might be reluctant to sell it and say it's not suitable, but that's because it's a choking risk. Not that it's unsafe. Are you 100% sure it's thrush?

RockCrushesLizard Thu 30-Mar-17 04:00:06

You might find this useful:

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/thrush-oct14.pdf

It's pretty unusual to have thrush on only one side, but other causes of pain are often misdiagnosed as thrush.

If you call the helpline (0300 100 0212)
One of the women can talk through your issue and help you find the likely cause and solution.

Good luck, and flowersfor you - it's so rubbish.

RockCrushesLizard Thu 30-Mar-17 04:00:34

It's pretty unusual to have thrush on only one side, but other causes of pain are often misdiagnosed as thrush.

One of the women can talk through your issue and help you find the likely cause and solution.

RockCrushesLizard Thu 30-Mar-17 04:02:20

Bue Thu 30-Mar-17 04:14:48

Daktarin oral gel is the best. And Daktarin cream can also be used on the nipple. You can get it at the chemist, just don't mention it's for a baby and they'll give it you!

MrsNuckyThompson Thu 30-Mar-17 04:18:37

The oral gel is sold as being for older babies - over 4 months but my GP prescribed it for DS much younger. It is safe for them to but you have to be very careful how you apply it as if it is applied without spreading it out thinly it can be a choking hazard.

If the thrush is not shifting ask to be prescribed fluconazole which is an anti fungal treatment. It isn't (as stated above) just two tablets. There is an initial 'loading dose' and then a short course like with antibiotics.

Good luck. Thrush is excruciating...

Sunisshining12 Thu 30-Mar-17 07:11:26

Thanks everyone I'm going to get some Daktarin cream for myself.

Is the Daktarin oral gel better to use on a newborn than the nystatin drops?

I think it is thrush as lo tongue tie has been released twice (and confirmed all okay a few days ago), I've had plenty of support with positioning/latching & GP said looks like LO has a bit of thrush in mouth - white patches on back of tongue. And I've got terrible nipple pain on my 'good' side. Attachment feels fine on what is my 'weaker' side (right handed).

I don't think it's mastitis, from what I hear there would be more pain in the breast itself?

Not sure what else it could be so at least need to treat as thrush to try to eliminate it!

Thanks again

MrsNuckyThompson Thu 30-Mar-17 08:42:20

I found nystatin cleared DS' mouth but didn't shift the underlying thrush from the pair of us (i.e. We kept passing it back and forth. The gel, because it is sticky, lasts longer in their mouths and I believed had longer lasting effects. I also used Daktatrin cream on myself. Also was bras daily and consider taking a probiotic.

This too shall pass!

Sunisshining12 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:45:53

Update - okay so I've been using the Daktarin oral gel on LO & Daktarin on my nipples but the breast with pain developed into full blown mastitis :-(

It's so bad that I'm now on flucloaxcillin

My LO still has white patches on back of tongue which I still presume is thrush.

My GP didn't know much but suggested that the thrush could have got into my cracked nipple & into the ducts.

My question is if the thrush isn't clearing up then surely it will go back into the ducts & risk mastitis getting worse or at least not improving?

Do I need to take something orally for the thrush in these circumstances? If so what & can I get from chemist?

Or wait to finish the antibiotics? I have 7 days worth.

Thanks in advance, this is a nightmare sad

Ps - I've resorted to using a nipple shield if this makes any difference?

Bue Sun 02-Apr-17 05:46:02

Oh yikes OP this sounds horrible.

For ductal thrush you need oral fluconazole. Antibiotics won't touch the thrush, they can actually make it WORSE. So you need to be treated for both.

Here is a link to detailed info about treating thrush from the Breastfeeding Network: https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/thrush-oct14.pdf

Bue Sun 02-Apr-17 05:48:18

Also have you tried scraping the white patches off baby's tongue? Because if it comes off easily it could just be milk residue, in which case mastitis is the only problem.

Sunisshining12 Sun 02-Apr-17 07:54:16

Thanks bue, yes tried scraping off LO tongue it doesn't budge. It's right at the back on both sides permanently. She also has a nasty nappy rash so I'm presuming thrush sad

How easy is it to get a GP to prescribe or can i just buy from chemist? If so what dose?

The antibiotics are for the mastitis infection but I fear we're going to be trapped in a vicious cycle of the thrush isn't blasted. The pain is horrific - I hate BF!

Sunisshining12 Sun 02-Apr-17 14:06:24

Great, thrush on the other side now too...

Bue Sun 02-Apr-17 15:27:47

The dosage is at the bottom of the information sheet (I appreciate its long!) For the course suggested you'd have to have it prescribed I think. Could you take the info sheet to your GP? They might tell you that you can't BF on it but you absolutely can. So just say "oh OK" and carry on. My sympathies!

Sunisshining12 Sun 02-Apr-17 16:03:25

Ahh yes, just had a read. Getting an appt with my GP is a whole new problem! Thanks for all advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now