Talk

Advanced search

My period has returned and my supply has diminished...

(9 Posts)
Whatsername17 Tue 28-Mar-17 13:50:06

Dd2 is fractious. She keeps latching then pulling off screaming, my nipples hurt, I've lost my let down tingle and I want to cry. Im not able to pump anywhere near what I could a week ago. Dd is only 9 weeks and has been ebf since birth. I've been pumping to increase my supply and to start a stock of milk so that I could be away from her for a few hours to do some keep in touch days. Everything was going really well. ThenI started to feel something was wrong as for the last few days I've felt my supply diminish more and more and thought it was because I was trying to eat more sensibly instead of girging on biscuits. The last few days ive been having af symptoms too - tummy and backache, headaches and craving sugary food. Then it arrived this morning and it all made sense. I really do not know what to do. It was all going so well and now it's gone wrong. The lactation midwife says it's temporary but I'm likely to get the same every month. She also said it's unusual for a mum of an ebf baby under 6 months to get a period so I think she thinks I'm lying. I don't know what to do. Sorry this is garbled. I'm really pissed off. My body failed to lactate with dd1. This time I've worked fucking hard to get bf established. So hard. I didn't have a great supply - wasn't shooting milk across the room and had no need for breast pads, but there was enough and now there isn't. Even if it is temporary it will happen again next month. sad

Eminado Tue 28-Mar-17 13:53:11

Dont give up! Dont be downhearted!
I went a bit funny when my period came back but I am still feeding at 8mths!!

Keep hydrated and keep going.

flowers

QuizTeamaAguilera Tue 28-Mar-17 13:53:36

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/natural-treatments/

Read the bit about calcium and magnesium supplements - it really helped me when my period came back at 9mo pp smile

Whatsername17 Tue 28-Mar-17 13:55:52

I'm already taking a supplement with those things in. I'm going to top up today using my freezer milk.

QuizTeamaAguilera Tue 28-Mar-17 14:53:06

My supply dip lasted a couple of days, DS got really constipated! Plus by coincidence I had food poisoning the same weekend my period came back. It was vile. I hope it increases for you soon.

Star8181 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:47:02

What about taking fenugreek? It'd be taken it before to help boost my milk and it always seems to work (don't think it's a coincidence). I only take it for 48 hrs, that seems to be enough.

Whatsername17 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:48:30

Thanks I'll try that x

AnotherRandom Tue 28-Mar-17 16:52:34

My daughter was ebf and I got my period as normal 4 weeks after having her and continued to have normal periods throughout. Don't worry about your period. I didn't notice a difference in my supply and bf her for 2 years. Hope all goes well for you x

plimsolls Tue 28-Mar-17 16:54:21

I had same problem when my periods returned (at 3 months I think even though I was EBFing). I noticed a slight recurrence every month in that she seems more fractious and feeding is harder (although never sure if that's because everything feels so much harder with my wretched PMT). Anyway, point of my post: hasn't unduly affected my supply overall, so hopefully this is just a dip for you. Keep expressing and feeding as much as you can which will hopefully keep your supply going too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now