Talk

Advanced search

What is this hard lump? It hurts!

(11 Posts)
Highlove Sun 26-Mar-17 18:45:48

DD is 7.5mo. Milk-wise she's EBF but in the last couple of weeks has really got into solids, too.

I have all of sudden developed a little hard round lump on my areoles, right next to my nipple. It really bloody hurts! I'm wondering if it's a blocked duct maybe but I'm not sure. I've tried massaging it though can't do this while feeding as its too close to the nipple to get at it. Ice tried feeding her more on that side (even though it's making my toes curl) and a bit of 'dangle' feeding, but so far it's just getting sorer.

Please help! What is it and more importantly, how do I get rid of it?

Highlove Sun 26-Mar-17 18:46:25

Areola, that should say.

fusspot66 Sun 26-Mar-17 18:48:36

Probably a blocked duct. Can you get in a hot bath or shower and run a comb over it in the direction of the nipple to try to clear it. Probaby baby has been feeding less if they're enjoying the solids.
Happy Mothers Day

Highlove Sun 26-Mar-17 18:50:37

Like a hair comb?!

PopcornBits Sun 26-Mar-17 18:53:34

A comb?! confused

fusspot66 Sun 26-Mar-17 19:00:39

Yep. Seems bizarre but works

fusspot66 Sun 26-Mar-17 19:01:48

The pressure varying pressure from the teeth of the comb can free up a blockage

fusspot66 Sun 26-Mar-17 19:18:41

Third item up.from the bottom of this article.
www.mumsnet.com/babies/mastitis-and-blocked-milk-ducts

Highlove Sun 26-Mar-17 21:50:44

Thank you fusspot.

fruitpastille Sun 26-Mar-17 21:59:49

You could try a warm compress too (use a flannel)

makemineadoubleplease Sun 26-Mar-17 22:56:39

Ouch. Yes, sounds like a blocked duct.

I have a similar problem a lot. Hot, damp compresses, massage, lots of bfing. If that doesn't improve it and the lump is persistent then give the nipple a good check for milk blisters.

I had a deep milk blister that I couldn't shift. Eventually I crumbled and went down the 'poke it with a sterilised needle' route. Milk everywhere... very relieved me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now