Talk

Advanced search

Ardo calypso or lansinoh double

(7 Posts)
newyorkgirl Tue 21-Mar-17 10:09:15

Hi, hoping somebody could possibly offer any recommendations on the above 2 pumps.

I have narrowed it down to the above just from online research but was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

The prices are pretty similar and they are both closed systems which I would like.

I am a first time mum so this is all a bit of a minefield for me.

ASheepLessOrdinary Tue 21-Mar-17 20:52:32

I can recommend the Lansinoh double, I pumped quite a bit when DD was younger and found it very effective and easy to use. The Lansinoh teats are very good as well.

I started out with a loan Calypso from my local children's centre and got hardly any milk using that. I suspect it was at least in part because it was a loan pump however, so probably a bit worn out.

AllTheGlitters Thu 23-Mar-17 20:13:18

I'm doing the same research today smile Had also narrowed it down to the Ardo or the Medela, will be going with the Ardo because I've heard a lot of good reviews, the double is only £130 (much cheaper than the Medela double, which I've seen mixed reviews on), and most importantly for me, it's apparently the quietest pump you can get.

I had the Tommee Tippee first time round (this is my second pregnancy) and they are surprisingly noisy! I've learned from the first time round that I am not great at BFing with the left breast, so plan on pumping this one while LO feeds from the right. Given that I'll be feeding while pumping, and that some of these feeds will be at night, I wouldn't underestimate the benefits of a quiet pump, personally smile

DuckingGlitter Thu 23-Mar-17 20:23:25

I had the ardo and sent it back. It was awful. I'd also read the good reviews and wish I'd listened to the bad ones. I nearly had to give up breastfeeding because of it, my little one had tongue tie so couldn't latch properly initially, which meant I had to express for top ups. It wasn't faulty, they confirmed this when I sent it back. I had a £25 medela hand pump which worked better. I bought the Medela freestyle instead and it was fantastic.

xMamfax Thu 23-Mar-17 20:50:52

I second the Medela Freestyle! I've used it 7 times a day for 7 months so far and it still works great; I'm done in just over 10 minutes. It's also really portable and has a good battery life for on the go.

AllTheGlitters Fri 24-Mar-17 10:11:36

Is Medela a closed system pump? I read somewhere it wasn't but it was a review so not sure!

AllTheGlitters Fri 24-Mar-17 10:19:14

Also not saying you're wrong about the Ardo (I wish I could trial them before buying as it's so important to get right!) but I think in general manual pumps are actually better at getting milk out, I've seen quite a few reviews on various brands of breast pump and a lot of the negative ones say something along the lines of "I didn't like x electric pump, I used x manual pump and got so much more milk". I had both the tommee tippee manual (which was great at yeilding milk) and the electric one, which I noticed was somewhat less effective. But if you need to pump extensively, manual pumping can be quite tiresome and painful.

OP if you can afford it, I would get yourself whichever electric pump you decide on and have a manual one as a backup. I eventually got into a routine of encouraging letdown with the manual and continuing expression with the electric. As they were both the same brand, you could express all the milk into the same bottle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now