Talk

Advanced search

Reflux or colic?

(4 Posts)
Star8181 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:14:45

Looking for some advice as I'm sure something's not quite right with my 4 week old. He's breastfed apart from one bottle of formula before bed.

His symptoms are: choking on his bottle and gasping for air - quite scary to watch, and he cries after;
His tummy is obviously very sore, as he cries in pain and draws his legs up when you touch it; lots of hiccups; seems to cry out in pain randomly, but gets worse in the evening - helps if we lie him on his side on our lap; sicks up milk most feeds although not a lot; and grunts after feeds at night, I can hear the wind in his tummy and passes lots of wind.

I'm going to ask the HVs advice on Monday, but wondering if any mums out there have experienced this and how we can help out LO?

Heirhelp Sat 18-Mar-17 18:17:17

Sounds like reflux or CMPA. They Have you tried cutting out the formula feed to and avoiding dairy? At 4 weeks you can use gripe water to help with the wind.

Whatsername17 Sat 18-Mar-17 20:58:48

It sounds like he is sucking in air when feeding. Try an anti-colic bottle with the slowest teat you can buy.

Star8181 Sat 18-Mar-17 21:04:01

Thanks both - we use dr brown bottles with a slow teat already, so not sure we can do any more there? I'll get some gripe water tomorrow, we've been trying infacol but it doesn't seem to do much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now