Talk

Advanced search

Gripe water

(6 Posts)
alltalknobaby Fri 17-Mar-17 09:24:11

DD was windy and seemed to be in a lot of discomfort so we are trying gripe water but since starting 2 days ago her nappies have gone very runny. I'm not sure of the difference between runny poo and diarrhoea in babies? Does anyone know if gripe water can cause diarrhoea? Tia.

tiktok Fri 17-Mar-17 11:09:57

How old is your dd?

Gripe water is not known to cause diarrhoea - and actual diarrhoea in a very young baby is something to be concerned about.

Is it not more likely she has a tummy bug which led to both the apparent discomfort and the diarrhoea?

Prob best to call or see your Hv, or your doctor if you think your dd is poorly.

tiktok Fri 17-Mar-17 11:11:07

You can google for pics of normal stools in young babies and compare 😀

Bex134 Fri 17-Mar-17 17:58:14

I found the same OP after using gripe water, don't know if it was diarrhoea but it was certainly a very full nappy! When I googled bit the feedback on forums was similar experiences but the official line is there's no side effects.

alltalknobaby Fri 17-Mar-17 21:40:24

She is 7 weeks. No real distress or pain that I can discern - just a few very loose nappies. Tiktok - thanks, will do that- never thought I'd be googling baby poo on a Friday evening grin

Whatsername17 Sat 18-Mar-17 15:18:44

My dd's poops go a bit more watery after she's had gripe water. She is bf so they are runny anyway but they do seem more watery after gripe water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now