Talk

Advanced search

Formula Fed baby always hungry but gets constipated easily... help please!

(4 Posts)
Caz96 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:44:36

Hi, I'm new to this site.
I'm looking for a bit of help please.
My 6week old is formula fed (couldn't breast feed) and was on Cow and Gate first milk, she struggled to get wind up and poo and had to do about 3 hours of baby massage a day for the first few weeks, we got told to try infacol to help with her wind and this may also help her poo (this didn't help)
We then got told to use gripe water but this didn't help either. I then asked our HV about it and she said to change her milk onto Cow and Gate comfort milk which has helped loads but now she's constantly hungry. I've told the HV about this and she's told me to keep her on the milk but I'm feeding her 5oz every 2 hours (sometimes she takes for if she had 5 earlier)
This comfort milk is expensive and I'm wasting it occasionally but I never know how hungry she's going to be. I'm at a loss can anyone help or has anyone else experienced this please.
Thank you smile

ThisNight Fri 10-Mar-17 15:54:31

Research suggests that infacol, gripe water and the like make no difference. It's quite normal for a six week old baby to feed every two hours - six weeks is a common growth spurt.

Some babies just don't need to burp every feed. Is your baby's poo soft, if so its not constipation. It's also normal for a baby to squirm / strain when pooing - it's just how they are.

Caz96 Fri 10-Mar-17 16:06:40

Thanks, my first daughter was absolutely fine and ended up onbungry baby at 9weeks old.
My 6week old had very hard stools, she was struggling to pass and wouldn't poo for 4 days and was getting bellyache from being constipated and crying all the time. We tried infacol, gripe water, aired water, water with sugar in it, apple juice, you name it we tried it. HV then told us to put her on cow and Gate comfort and she pooed within hours of drinking it. But now she doesn't seem full on this milk.

MrsSkeffington Fri 10-Mar-17 16:17:42

Up her to six ounces

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now