Talk

Advanced search

Formula question....

(8 Posts)
FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 08-Mar-17 16:37:45

Just switched to formula after really struggling with breastfeeding. At the moment I'm using aptamil and I'm noticing my DS seems to be in a lot more discomfort from wind than when he was on expressed breast milk. Is that the case for all formula, or does the aptamil just not agree with him? And if so what to feed instead?

HappyGirl86 Wed 08-Mar-17 16:39:45

I switched to aptamil and my baby had terrible colic. I used colief and changed to mam anti colic bottles. Both were a life saver!

BumWad Wed 08-Mar-17 16:40:53

Have a look at Aptamil Comfort milk

FATEdestiny Wed 08-Mar-17 16:47:36

Make sure you are winding baby well. Your HV will be able to show you a few winding techniques.

There are also some basic things that reduce wind:

- always keep the teat full of milk, at all times during the feed. This stops air being swallowed.

- have baby's head heigher then stomach when feeding, rather than baby being flat.

- after warming/making the bottle, swirl rather than shaking the bottle. This makes the liquid less bubbley.

- allow young babies a break or two during the feed, maybe sit upright at these breaks, to allow any air to gargle back up.

- crying gives a baby wind, often more so than feeding. So if baby had a big crying session before settling with a bottle, he could well have more wind than normal.

MissJC Wed 08-Mar-17 16:59:02

Watching with interest as my 16 day old DD is on Aptamil first and my HV said to keep her on this until she is 1 due to its huge likeness to breast milk (I also struggled to BF but did give it a good go).

LO is also quite windy despite long winding sessions and she doesn't half fart! Plus fills a nappy after every bottle.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 08-Mar-17 18:32:27

Thanks so much all! Fate those are some really good tips!

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 08-Mar-17 19:03:34

MissJC I am amazed that your HV is peddling the lie that Aptamil is in any way more "like breastmilk" than any other formula! It is absolutely not true, and Aptamil would be breaking the law if they said this themselves. They were prosecuted for exactly that in the past.

All formula has to have the same ingredients by law, plus a small number of extra ones that the company want to add. If any extra ingredient was shown to be beneficial to babies then it would have to be added to all formulas. No formula has a "huge likeness to breastmilk", it's just not true.

ispymincepie Wed 08-Mar-17 19:06:04

Personally I find NannyCare goats milk formula to be the one my ds tolerates best and smells and tastes the least disgusting. It's also reassuringly expensive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now