We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

7week old struggling to feed with oversupply

(8 Posts)
Bex134 Wed 08-Mar-17 08:03:31

I've been breastfeeding from the start with no real issues. We now have a pattern where DS seems to be struggling to feed when first on breast, he'll pull off, cry, and face milk all round his face. I think the flow is too quick.

I've tried leaning back and putting him over my shoulder to calm and wind but we can do this every minute or so. It does get better once flow reduces but I can't always get him to this point as he'll fall asleep (usually for 30mins and we'll start again.

I have been expressing in the last couple of weeks to get a bit of a stash as previously had to give a little formula during growth spurts.

Any tips on managing this?

flapjackfairy Wed 08-Mar-17 08:05:31

Express a bit before latching on as if too full nipple too taut for baby to grip.
Should solve problem and slow flow a bit as well x

flapjackfairy Wed 08-Mar-17 08:08:21

P s if you keep expressing between feeds you will keep boosting supply and make it worse.
Better to persist with extra breast feeds during growth spurts as your supply will soon catch up with demand. That was what i found anyway x

Scentofwater Wed 08-Mar-17 08:09:35

Can you try feeding lying down or with him lying on your belly so that he is on top of the breast rather than underneath it? Might help him be more in control? Do you have a local breastfeeding support group? They can be fab at helping with things like this.

NaturWilde Wed 08-Mar-17 08:09:59

I had this and LLL suggested block feeding, which is feeding only from one side for the duration of each feed. It really helped.

And no need to express further til this is sorted!

Bex134 Wed 08-Mar-17 08:25:43

I'm off to the breastfeeding group this morning. I was wondering about the impact of expressing. I use an electric pump, would manual be more gentle??

McBaby Wed 08-Mar-17 10:40:07

Expesssing will boost your supply massively with manual or electric pump.

I suffered with over suppply massively with both dds and it can be difficult to get under control.

I found block feeding really helped mine to settle down and from then on I only fed from one side per feed and i instigated feeds regularly. I know it goes against baby led feeding but it helped me and baby cope!

If you go down the block feeding route then get the suppprt of lactation consultant or similar as there are risks of reducing supply too much, blocked ducts and mastitis as you are essentially making your self deliberately engorged to tell your body to make less milk.

NaturWilde Wed 08-Mar-17 12:38:38

I'd simply forget expressing for a while and block feed. That helped me, give it a few days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now