Talk

Advanced search

Sterilisers

(10 Posts)
PinkUnicorn1990 Tue 07-Mar-17 11:50:07

I am 36 weeks pregnant with first baby and trying to organise final bits and bobs for the baby. I am aiming to breastfeed but have bought some bottles (mostly mam and Tommee tippee) just in case and for expressing. We got a microwave steriliser with the mam bottles but have now found out it doesn't fit in our microwave! It works as a cold water steriliser but not sure what to do now. What option would the people of MN choose?

1) buy a new microwave (could do with a new one as it's a few years old but works) that fits the steriliser (would need a plate diameter of 28cm so could be £££)
2) buy a new microwave steriliser that fits the existing microwave and the mam bottles
3) use the steriliser as a cold water only
4) buy an electric steriliser that fits our bottles

Help please smile

Soubriquet Tue 07-Mar-17 11:54:44

I prefer the electric steralisers. It's nice and easy, and once it's done it's done.

I had a microwaveable one that didn't fit in the microwave either. That was a quick trip to the shop that day to get an electric one

Just one tip. If you live in a hard water area, make sure you descale it once a month. You can buy the stuff in boots. Helps it work better

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 07-Mar-17 14:37:51

If you're breastfeeding you won't really need the steriliser much, so I would just stick with the cold water sterilising for now. It's not going to cost you any more money, and it's very simple to do. If you need to sterilise something quickly you can get microwave sterilising bags that only take a couple of minutes. You can reuse them several times, so they work out cheaper too.

welshweasel Tue 07-Mar-17 14:39:15

If you end up formula feeding then get an electric steriliser that takes 6 bottles. MAM bottles self sterilise in the microwave so you could do that?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 07-Mar-17 14:39:28

I have a Milton cold water steriliser, it's great. Bottles etc sterile after 15 mins

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 07-Mar-17 14:40:19

I have 6 or 6 bottles in it at a time, so perfect if you FF.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 07-Mar-17 14:40:31

6 or 7 obviously lol!

Elledouble Tue 07-Mar-17 14:45:53

We've got this one, which seemed the best option when we looked at the capacity of our microwave! Looks difficult to get hold of for some reason - we got it from Argos confused

Flipthebirdy Tue 07-Mar-17 15:20:19

Are you certain it won't fit? I have to take the glass dish out to fit my one in. If you can, I would buy a new microwave steriliser that fits. I've not used electric. I have used cold water/Milton tabs. Felt like more of a faff to me.

PinkUnicorn1990 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:34:55

Thanks for all the replies, going to have a think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now