Talk

Advanced search

4 days old, BF problems already

(7 Posts)
SquedgieBeckenheim Sun 05-Mar-17 10:03:45

DD2 is 4 days old today, and my milk has now come in. She's feeding on average every 2-3 hours, but today has started refusing to feed from R breast altogether. I've hand expressed to take the pressure off, so she could latch, but as soon as let down happened she pulled off and refuses to latch back on.
She's fine on the left side!
I found DD1 always preferred the left, but she would at least feed from the right.

InMemoryOfSleep Sun 05-Mar-17 10:11:21

Do you think your letdown might be a bit more forceful on the right side? That's what happened with mine, it was like a milk cannon and DS couldn't manage it initially! blush

I would say persevere with offering both sides (but don't make a big deal if she refuses the right), and if you're only feeding on the left maybe consider expressing a bit each feed from the right side to keep the supply going and keep yourself comfortable? You could also try expressing for a few minutes from the right side, until you feel the let down, and then offer it once the initial 'rush' of milk has passed. It should settle down, as your milk supply settles over the next few weeks, so hang on in there!

Blossomdeary Sun 05-Mar-17 10:14:07

It will settle down in time - just keep putting her to both breasts - I would start with the right, as she will be hungry and suck harder then once she does (hopefully!) latch on. Congratulations on your new DD. flowers

Backhometothenorth Sun 05-Mar-17 10:18:00

Have you tried lying down to feed- sometimes helps with a powerful let- down. Congratulations flowerscake

Glossolalia Sun 05-Mar-17 10:21:54

Keep offering her both breasts. Does DD feeding from the right or left feel any different to you?

Congratulations OP flowers

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 05-Mar-17 10:46:04

Expressing a little before she latches might help. Have you tried the rugby ball hold too?

It is pretty normal and like others have said, she'll do it in time.

Congratulations on your new LO thanks

SquedgieBeckenheim Sun 05-Mar-17 11:02:36

Thanks for the replies.
I've never been able to get the hang of feeding laying down. It was suggested to help with feeding problems with DD1 but I never managed. DD1 would only ever latch with using nipple shields, no matter what we tried she would never feed without them. I guess they helped dampen down the forceful letdown. I really don't want to end up using them again if I can help it, they're such a faff!
I will keep persevering.
gloss no, there's no discernible difference between sides as far as I can tell. Both sides are tender when she starts feeding but that goes.
I'm deliberating sterilising my pump and emptying that breast to "start again" as I only hand expressed a little this morning. I don't want to end up with oversupply like with DD1 though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now